Car Covers

Guest SwiftBuicks

I am not a big fan of car covers. If used inside, it may keep off the dust but I would rather blow it down with an air hose or wash the car each time that I used it .

Every time you install the cover, any dust or dirt on the surface gets dragged across the paint and embedded in the cover, ready to scratch it next time that it is removed.

Out doors, the wind will constantly slide the cover across the surface and scratch it.

Most of the times that I have seen car covers, they were laying on the floor or draped on something picking up dirt, getting ready to scratch the car upon re-installation.

It might provide a degree of protection to a convertible top or to the interior if the top is down though.

Guest imported_virgilmule

OK - I'm in.

I'm considering buying a "car envelope" - one that zippers shut and has a floor to keep critters, dust, and moisture out.

Has anyone had any experience with one of those?

Hi,

I have a Car Jacket from California Car Cover, that one of my cars go into each winter, after it has the other cover over it. You drive over the zipper each year in and out, but so far (5 years) it has held up well and the car is isolated completeley. It takes some doing to get it and the car lined up properly in the garage, so you can properly zip it up. I am not sure if the Car Envelope is the same technology, or not. I think they are great as it keep the temperature/humidity changes away from the car.

John

OK, now we're talking car covers. Good subject!

I've owned then all. Here are the good and bad.

Nylon: Easy & light, keeps dust off but can be difficult

to use alone ans the slide off easily. Use indoors

only. Somtims I put the pleated paper one over this

when painting or grinding in the other end of the

shop. Easy to take with you when you tour.

Pleated Paper: (Most of the under $100 car covers) Also

indoor only. Leaves paper dust on you car. Bulky

and not travel friendly

Rubberized Canvas: Durable and may be sued outdoors but it

traps the mositure in. The most durable for indoor

use, even sheilds overspray. Heavy and not travel

friendly.

Canvas: Heavy and scratchy, not weather resisitant

Two bed sheets sewed together: Cheap, soft but can be dusty.

How about this? As seen on the 2008 Sentimental Tour, appears

to be doing the job.

post-32318-143138040572_thumb.jpg

Guest VeloMan

I think it would be a good contest to identify the cars under those covers! My guess on model years: left is 1914, right is 1960.

Phil

I think you really need to qualify what your need is. Most of the above are talking about covering a car with great paint.

I have a couple of convertibles and alwys put a cover on them when they will be staying outside for a length of time. Both for UV protection as well as adding another layer to keep water out in the driving rains we get in the South. not to mention bird droppings/cat hair/ and leaves/pine needles. I always crack the windows for air flow - unless it is raining.

In the garage I use the cheap flannel or cloth covers to keep animals (cats) shop dust and other floating stuff from accumulating on the cars. My cars paint is not that good so I don't worry about the micro scratches.

I have all the different covers, but for indoor I like a very light weight cover that came with a car I bought years ago. It seems to be made out of a parachute type material. I never seen another like it. Does anyone know where I might find a new one like this?

Guest windjamer

Qman I bought a cove like you describe at Advance Auto. I think its nylon, good for indoors only. I also have a heavy cloth one,but now im not sure about it. This is the first year I have had the cars at home for the winter.I built a new garrage this summer and both cars went in it. I got a real bad case of cabin feavor last week and the only cure was a shot of old car. I lifted the heavy cover and found it traps mosture. I did not put it back on.

I recently purchased a new cover from Covercraft. They have a website that explains the types of car covers that they make along with a bit on their company. The web site is: http://www.covercraft.com

You can either order it on the web through web stores or at a local parts store or dealer. There are a number of choices as far as material, I purchased the Weathershield HP which I am happy with. The car and cover should never see overnight outside use even though the cover is rated for outdoor use. That's my two cents...

Two good tips. I only store inside and I find my heavy cotton cover bulky and heavy and even if it's not scratching the paint, and my cats are drivers, it sure feels like it does. Thanks Windjammer and Scott DG, I like the look of your '31 Dodge, how do you post that photo? I'm working on a '30 Chrysler 66 this winter.

In the case of our fire truck, we couldn't find one big enough for the truck, so we bought a portable garage and set it up inside our barn. We've found that it keeps the truck pretty clean.

Another place where we've managed to keep a car clean during long term storage is right inside our car trailer.