YouTube footage of Turbo RWD Reatta

bwarren

I know we have talked about this car before, but was not sure if we had motion footage of the car. While converting 20 year old Motorweek 89 VHS footage to DVD, I came across this. I captured some still photos of the rear suspension and created a panoramic picture of the suspension. Other still pictures are at Photobucket.com, http://photobucket.com/Turbo_RWD_Reatta and the motion footage on YouTube is here.

post-31417-143138036876_thumb.jpg

Guest CL_Reatta

WOW very nice find.... I wanna look up some old yellow pages to find out where this "Buick advanced concepts group" was located and take a drive by it... if you notice there is also a red reatta in the background in the line-up of their vehicles

As far as I have been told, GM Advanced Concepts Group was housed within the GM Tech Center in Warren. I believe it may have been part of what is now the Engineering building, however, this group only existed until GM Performance Division took over. From what I have been told, the Advanced Concepts group was focused on building performance mules and concepts and vehicles similar to SEMA vehicles. I don't believe GM Performance Division as they are now, was organized until the early 90s. Great footage there and I have tried to track down many blueprints, or any documentation on this car, however, GM has not seemed to keep anything within their Heritage records or at the GM Performance Division either. Any documentation may have been lost with the extinction of the Advanced Concepts Group but yet again, I could never be certain.

Guest CL_Reatta

My neighbor works in the Tech center in warren, I live right down the street from it, He is a designer of the concept cars (he has told me some very interesting info about the upcoming volt and other electric vehicles, that isnt quite the greatest to be told in public) I will ask him when I see him again if he knows anything about it

Yep ask him if he would remember that. Probably be around 93ish that they went defunct I believe. I have had somebody within the Performance Division see if they could track down any info but no such luck yet. I know some interesting info about the Volt too that is not for public ears until later this year. However do not know too much about any other electric vehicles just yet.

For me the real find would be the original commented source code for the ECM and BCM. Would make transplants much easier. (Actually have pretty good data on the ECM but the BCM is just a black hole today.

That is a great find. It didn't surprise me that the Reatta would be slower, it is a heavy car. It is likely a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the Regal, close to the weight of an older generation Grand National. Of course there wasn't any other detail, like gear ratios and so forth.