ID Carb/Heat Riser

Mark Shaw

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

I know that some of the early Buicks used a Marvel carb with a heat riser just like the 1929 Essex. The Marvel carb on the 1929 Essex is a Marvel V-10-733 or Marvel V-10-722.

Do you know if your friend is interested in selling the carburetor? I am definitely interested if you can determine what model of Marvel carb it is and if it will work with my 1929 Essex, SuperSix?

I found the information listed below on a ClassicCar forum:

1927 Hudson - Marvel B-10-661

As for Essex - one source (a 1929-1937 National Service Manual) lists the following: (Maarvel Carburetors)

VE-3-10-917 - 1931 Essex

VE-3-10-995 - 1932 Essex first cars;

VE-3-10-1505 - 1932 Essex later

Another source as follows: (Marvel Carburetors)

V-10-733 - 1929 Essex

V-10-780 - 1930 Essex

V-10-997 - 1931-1932 Essex

The 1929 Essex used a Model V marvel. The model E was used on '28-29-and '30 Hudsons, but even then they had slight differences, which just goes to prove Murphy's law "Interchangeable parts inevitable exhibit fundamental differences." The "E" designation was the basic type, but the actual carburettors as used on Nash, Buick, and Hudson although all called Model E, were all slightly idfferent in application, as in actuation of the high speed Jet, heat by-pass, etc. If you had a Model VE, you could probably get away with using on the '29 Essex, providing it fits the intake okay. I think the main difference was in the accelerator pump capacity, but you may have to look at jet sizes as well. Good luck,

Regards,

Ron Hostine

rhostine@charter.net

• 3 years later...
Carbking is on this forum and can do your carb...

Actually carbking does not rebuild Marvel carburetors, but thanks anyway Mark. We do provide rebuilding kits for those who wish to do their own.

And Mark, I couldn't identify the carb/riser from the pictures, HOWEVER; here is a link to help identify Marvels from the casting numbers (if the tiny identification number is difficult to find).

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Marvel_Casting_Numbers.htm

Jon (carbking).

Guest outlaw car man
Mark,

Get hold of Sandy Jones (outlawcarman).

With (2) '33's, he is becoming the marvel expert out of necessity.

Mike in Colorado

Sandy is not the Marvel expert, there is no such person ! Sandy only does this cause he has to, or the car won't run- yikes

Sandy

Guest outlaw car man
You could put an S.U. off a Jag on there and solve all your problems.

We put many on Harleys back in the day, and they really worked well.

Next best thing to fuel injection.

Mike in Colorado

OR sell the car and buy a Jag - naw.

• 10 months later...

Hello, please, someone could help me again, i have a 1933 Buick, but i don't know the right heat riser i have to use! someone haves a numbers application of heat riser? i bought a 146-117 with brand, but it seems to be smaller that the original one - my exhaust is bigger, just a little. my exhaust number is 1281556-1.

Guest outlaw car man

Depends on the model, I think you said you have a model 50, which would be 146-615 ( complete ) For my 90 it's 146- 612. I see no 146-117 anywhere, up or down in years , maybe a Hudson or something ??

Depends on the model, I think you said you have a model 50, which would be 146-615 ( complete ) For my 90 it's 146- 612. I see no 146-117 anywhere, up or down in years , maybe a Hudson or something ??

Hello, my heat riser is really a 146-117, i bought from rand, but this heat riser is very similar to the original, the linkage, everytinhg. i'll post picture, but i think the throttle hole is thinner than the right one. [ATTACH=CONFIG]190840[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190841[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190843[/ATTACH]

Guest outlaw car man

My Marvel Carburetor master parts/price list, thru 1940, lists no such number , all vehicles. No idea what you have ? OCM

THE FOLKS THAT YOU WANT TO TALK TO ABOUT REBUILDING/RESTORING MARVEL CARBURETORS ARE: CLASSIC CARBURETORS IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA. THEIR PHONE NUMBER IS (602) 971-3300. MARK BUBER IS THE MAN TO ASK FOR. THEY DO NOT WORK ON ANYTHING NEWER THAN LATE 50'S. THEY DID THE BRASS-BODIED MARVELS ON MY 1916, 1920, AND 1922 BUICKS. THEIR WORK IS ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. THE CARBURETORS WERE RETURNED TO ME READY TO BOLT ON TO THE MANIFOLDS, HOOK UP THE LINKAGES, ATTACH THE FUEL LINES, AND STEP ON THE STARTER AND GO. THE UNITS WERE FLOW TESTED AND DIALED IN AND READY TO RUN PERFECTLY - AND THEY DO!! I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD WORDS ABOUT THESE GUYS. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. FOR ANYONE WANTING TO SEE THE RESULTS, SEND ME A PM AND I WILL SEND YOU PHOTOS TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA terrywiegand@prodigy.net

THE FOLKS THAT YOU WANT TO TALK TO ABOUT REBUILDING/RESTORING MARVEL CARBURETORS ARE: CLASSIC CARBURETORS IN PHOENIX, ARIZONA. THEIR PHONE NUMBER IS (602) 971-3300. MARK BUBER IS THE MAN TO ASK FOR. THEY DO NOT WORK ON ANYTHING NEWER THAN LATE 50'S. THEY DID THE BRASS-BODIED MARVELS ON MY 1916, 1920, AND 1922 BUICKS. THEIR WORK IS ABSOLUTELY EXCELLENT. THE CARBURETORS WERE RETURNED TO ME READY TO BOLT ON TO THE MANIFOLDS, HOOK UP THE LINKAGES, ATTACH THE FUEL LINES, AND STEP ON THE STARTER AND GO. THE UNITS WERE FLOW TESTED AND DIALED IN AND READY TO RUN PERFECTLY - AND THEY DO!! I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD WORDS ABOUT THESE GUYS. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. FOR ANYONE WANTING TO SEE THE RESULTS, SEND ME A PM AND I WILL SEND YOU PHOTOS TO SEE WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT. TERRY WIEGAND DOO DAH AMERICA terrywiegand@prodigy.net

Hey Terry, how are you?

Thanks for helping me too, but i already talked to them and they don't have this heat riser, they have a lot of, but this one in specific they don't have. They already helped me with this problem, they confirmed the model and application. But anyway thanks for responding.

Eduardo