Highbeams and foglights wont work

jakedog5150

After fixing a few issues with the reatta I can't get the fog lights or the highbeams to work. They have new bulbs. The lowbeams work fine then you click to highbeams and they light on the dash comes on but the headlights go out. As for the fog lights there is no power to the lights and I cant see anywhere were in the car that shows they are on (like the highbeam indacator) is there one.

This is a 1988 car.

Only way to tell if the foglights are being commanded is to turn the ignition on, the lights off, and push the foglight button - running lights and foglights should come on along with the running light indicator on the dash (parking light).

High beam failure is a different problem and may be a bad headlamp module (essentially a healamp relay) or in the wiring to the headlamps. Could even be two burned out high beams. Check the driver's side headlamp first.

Hey jake, there is a second fuse/relay panel directly in front of the primary fuse panel, on the passenger side of the console. You have to remove the console side panel to get to it. Approx: 8 torx head screws hold it in place. There are seven relays in this panel. One of them is for the fog lights, another is for hi-low beam headlights. If it is the relays, they are still available at auto parts stores or Buick dealer. GM part # 14100455 Approx: $16.00.

Hope this helps.

Oh Yea, Welcome to the Forum.

The relays for the the fog lights and high low beams indicate 2 different cicuits and problems. I would check the wiring block under the hood. Look for power to the block and then for power as it leaves the block.

My fog lights went out and it turned out to be a broken wire at the connection at the block.

This wiring block is located near the air filter box on the drivers side fender.

Fixed, thanks for the help. It turned out to be broken wires near the headlights for the highbeams and more broken wires where Daves88 mentioned a broken wire at the connection at the block.

This wiring block is located near the air filter box on the drivers side fender.

Thanks again.

One more thing with the lights, I know Barrney sells a kit with the rollers that go in the headlight motor.

Is there anywhere to get just the 3 rollers or can wood dolls be cut and used or something else?? Everything else looks good.

What is the dia. of these mine are gone and I dont want to take the other side apart to measure them.

I have no problem selling the rollers by themselves. I have the rollers because it makes sense to replace everything when you do the bellcranks.

I sell the rollers and up-stop nut for $5.00 including shipping.

Ronnie is correct when he says to get the complete KIT, If you factory bellcrank looks good now, it will probably fail after you replace the rollers. With bad rollers, there is no stress on the bellcrank. With new rollers, the bellcrank is now getting all the torque and the hole will go eventually.

Have to second this, Barney's cranks really work. I've seen factory bellcranks that look fine at first glance but from the back the pot metal was wallowed out and just a razor thin piece was left on top.

BTW is there a means to add pictures without making the post so wide you have to scroll to read it even on a widescream ?