1928 Dodge Brothers Senior Six Rear Main Engine Seal

28Senior

I'm a new Senior Six owner and have a 1928 Serial #1S26623. The head casting # is 8-201-345. Carb. side of engine has a stamped C with the following # underneath 30627. The car has been completely restored, but the rear seal is out of the engine. Upon lowering of the oil pan, the "pot" metal bracket that holds the rear seal in place, was fractured in about 6 pieces. It is fastened into the block with two screws. I need to find such a piece or something......... I'm a new Senior owner and could use any and all advice that I can get. Many thanks,

Matt Palisch

Jackson, Missouri

• 2 years later...
Guest Ronsnyder135E

I too have the same problem. How did you resolve yours? I am in the process of making a wax cast and plan to make a new part cast from aluminum

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Ronsnyder135E

I am still perfecting the casting process and will let you know when i have success. Trouble is that I have to make the casting oversize because of the aluminum shrinking thus requiring a lot of work to get the new casting to fit.

I had a word with my local machine shop, the owner is trained Paten maker; he is of the opinion that is probable easier and stronger to have the bracket machine from the solid, rather than casting it .Please may I have a photograph and measurements of the bracket

Castings are always weaker if you try and compare

If its the same as DA - 6 Gundog and the other fellow does not or cant help than let me know

Listed as a 4 number in DA parts book so I guess as Joe pinted out it may not be the same animal, wouldnt surprise me though if it was

I will surely keep my eyes open but I dont think I have ever seen anything quite like that. Thanks for the photo, if you dont mind is the filter Purolator or A/C. If it is Purolator than almost for sure I can provide you with at least a better picture from the side if you would like. I have the catalogs that go back that far.

This may not help much but Purolator catalog goes into comparison of the original A/C filter used in your car and its own replacement filter. It states Sept 28 to Jun 29 replacement cartridge SA-2 which is the same as DA used originally according to pict, shown in data books...

It has always been a mystery to me though that according to Purolator info a slighly different cartridge was used originally on DA but the filter that I show you here has been what has shown up more often on the original cars. I did by the way have have an example of the EA-2 that the Purolator book called for on DA but no longer have it.

If you dont mind confirming how these prod. dates coincide in any way with senior six it would be appreciated.

They also list a seperate kit for your car to reroute the lines as this filter has inlet at top and outlet at bottom

post-48869-143138487403_thumb.jpg

Gundog I have looked and cannot see a filter on my spare motor Iam sure that there was 1 on it Unfortunatley all of my car stuff is packed away in 2X20 ft containers as I am still arranging to have my shed built Ican access the 1 on my partialy restored car Please let me know exactly what you need and i will try to help My filter is sameas shown in the manual Regards Ron

I HAVE CAST SOME NEW REAR MAIN SEAL BRACKETS FOR THE 2249/51 ENGINE

I HAVE ALSO SENT A PATTERN AND PART OF THE ENGINE BLOCK TO

VINTAGE AND CLASSIC REPRODUCTIONS FOR A COSTING

THESE WILL BE IN A ROUGH CASTING AND WOULD REQUIRE MACHING

OR IN MY CASE HAND FITTING WITH THE HELP OF A FILE AND GRINDER

THE ONE I MADE PREVIOUSLY WORKS WITH NO OIL LEAKS FROM THE ENGINE

AFTER 900 MILES. TIME WILL TELL

2251 DB

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
I HAVE CAST SOME NEW REAR MAIN SEAL BRACKETS FOR THE 2249/51 ENGINE

I HAVE ALSO SENT A PATTERN AND PART OF THE ENGINE BLOCK TO

VINTAGE AND CLASSIC REPRODUCTIONS FOR A COSTING

THESE WILL BE IN A ROUGH CASTING AND WOULD REQUIRE MACHING

OR IN MY CASE HAND FITTING WITH THE HELP OF A FILE AND GRINDER

THE ONE I MADE PREVIOUSLY WORKS WITH NO OIL LEAKS FROM THE ENGINE

AFTER 900 MILES. TIME WILL TELL

2251 DB

I am attempting to identify a "E" Series Graham truck with a 185 wheelbase. I believe it has a senior six since engine does not appear to be a victory or DA. Are there any picture of the side views of the senior engine and is the engine of head code 2252?

A number is cast on the top of head near the firewall GB A514-270.

post-71470-143139077268_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143139077254_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143139077265_thumb.jpg

It certainly looks like a Senior 6 engine to me The water outlet on the head is different to the non commercial engine Love the truck I have always wanted to restore a truck seeing that transport has been my career Oh well Maybe when I finnish my 2249 Senior 6 Tourer a truck could be my next project Ron