How the West Is Being Lost, and What Can Be Done To Save it Within AACA

Now we need to get this thred to the VP Publications. RF the problem is cost. But suppose there was a separate little "events newsletter" packaged with each magazine that did what you suggest? Never heard that suggested before.<BR>On the point of advertising. If and where a National Meet or Tour is to be held, why couldn't the sponsoring Region or Chapter advertise in local area one car and independent club newsletters/magazines about six months prior that they are having this event, and say that only AACA members can participate, but invite those other club's non-AACA members to join AACA so they car participate? That may help introduce more folks to AACA.<BR>If there is a rule against outside advertising of tours, rules are made to be changed when necessary.

I don't really see why cost is an issue in putting more information in the Antique Automobile. If I understand it correctly, the venue is pretty much selected by the time the region's bid for a national meet is accepted. One more line on the event announcement in the magazine could more than list the location.

Starting last year, there is a separate flyer sent with the Antique Automobile magazine which describes some of the activities, just as suggested in this thread. In addition, you will be seeing some improvement re the info on meets and tours on the website. When the new server gets on line (estimated to be 20th of this month) we will have some volunteers working on updating and expanding the info available.

RF ~ A point of clarification. The $5.00 fee charged for tours is NOT a fee for information on the tour, it is a fee for receiving the registration package. This thing costs the hosting group real MONEY. You pay $5.00 for the REGISTRATION PACKET and when you register your $5;00 is CREDITED back against your registration fee. If you just look but don't register, then your $5.00 stays with the host group to pay for the cost of your packet which did not lead to participation. Remember, the HOST GROUP bears the packet cost, NOT AACA National!<P> smile.gif Howard smile.gif

Ted,<BR> The issue discussed at the July Chesapeake Region membership meeting on the Howard County Fair Show, as reported in the Bulletin, was not to provide a judging class for custom, modified, or hot rod vehicles; but how we should advertise the meet in the Sunpapers. We decided to take out a paid ad and the majority of the members voted to advertise it as an open show to all vehicles. We have done two judged shows, one at Ballestone Manor and the other at Howard County, for a number of years now. We have always had a class for custom, modified, etc. At a local event, it has been our practice to welcome everyone. This year, in spite of the heavy rain that washed out the show around 1 PM, we had 80 vehicles registered. I guess perhaps a half dozen or so were in the modified class. We give the participant the option of which class they desire to enter and judge them accordingly. In the production car classes points are taken for non-authentic features. Hope this helps!<P>jnp<BR>(PLEASE NOTE: I intended to post this item in the "grandaddy" thread.<p>[This message has been edited by John N. Packard (edited 08-09-2000).]

John - Having never gone to the Howard County show I didn't realize that the modified class includes hot rods and customs. I guess AACA regions can and do have different philosophies regarding what constitutes an acceptable car at a region show. I know with the increase in competition among shows in the mid-atlantic area, many clubs have included classes for modifieds, etc. just to help keep attendence at a level so that the show can continue to be financially viable.<BR>Personally, I don't usually attend shows that have a large attendence from modifieds. Not that I don't enjoy the artistry of some rods/customs, but I enjoy cars that are closer to authentic. Sure, a lot of "antique" cars have elements that never existed when new, but that is quite different than most rods/customs, which are one-off creations combining old and new elements, sometimes with interesting results.<BR>

The AACA Magazine has certainly improved in recent years. But it is hardly the only place to advertise. Last night the Cruise Night I co -founded was on the 5:00, 6:00 and 10:00 news. People drove over to see it because they saw it on TV. An original 40 Ford showed up and a couple of cars I hadn't seen before. While a radio station wanted $3500/hour to come out, the TV station thanked us for the oppertunity and came out for no charge. A guy I work with has a 52 Chevy truck, and another has a couple of Model A's that are apart. Another has a Triumph and is interested in cheaper insurance. These people will be joining the VMCCA because AACA demanded 15 members. Guess what? We have to be creative-the way AACA used to be. I have no time to associate with people who complain, criticize or what ever. A good paint job is a good paint job, no matter if it is on a streetrod or a restoration. Same for body work, upolstery, etc. We had 75 cars out; half of them streetroders, and most of the rest driving stuff that is too new to interest me, but they are progressive, creative people who don't use the word "no" in their vocabulary. I called the Roswell club several years back when they hosted a National. I wanted to bring some people the 150 or so miles up to see what the AACA was like.The AACA Roswell response was "Only AACA members can be on the judging field." Like I haven't been to Hershey and every non AACA member in the world is on the field. Instead of saying let's get something started, they said no. Instead of working with El Paso to start a club, AACA says 15 members. Maybe if the AACA would work with people and quit saying can't and don't they would get somewhere in the West. Think about it.<P>QUOTE]Originally posted by RF:<BR><B>TodFitch raises an interesting point. He didn't register for the Morgan Hill meet last year, but he wanted to come. No chance to know where it is from the AACA publications, because he can't find out unless he registers. We need more than the 1/4 page ad provided for each event in the Antique Automobile magazine. We need an article about each event. Where it is, when it is, what events are planned, and other stuff to pique (?) member interest. Having to register to find out the schedule or location just doesn't work. I know we've started putting an insert in one of the early magazines each year to describe tours, but wouldn't it be nifty to publish each meet/tour brochure in the magazine? And wouldn't that save all the hassles of the $5 charge just to find out about the National Tours?<P>RF</B><P>

Regarding this last post, there seems to be a mixing of apples and oranges, or a misquote. At all AACA meets, and that includes the Hershey Fall Meet, all cars on the showfield are registered by AACA members. That is not the same thing as saying all of the people on the field must be AACA members. There has never been, at least in recent times to my knowledge a restriction of who may attend, view, visit, etc., but the vehicles must be preregistered by AACA members.<P>As for AACA using the NO word, you must be talking to the wrong folks. We have and are actively recruiting new regions and chapters. As for 15 members for a new region and 5 for a new chapter - are you really asking for a charter for one or two people - that seems to me to defeat the purpose of a "club"!

DaveF: I can't remember a National Meet in Roswell, NM, but maybe there was such a thing. It takes 5 members to form a Chapter, and there is a Texas Region; but the point remains that by taking time to drive around looking for old cars, knocking on doors and inviting them to a meeting that you host to start a Region, 15 members isn't hard to find, and I've done that in a very remote area of Virginia. We started with 27 in fact. The message you quote was from a person in another area where the AACA Regions are small. You seem to be unhappy with AACA without trying to learn all the facts of which you speak. I for one, and many others, are dedicated to trying to make it work, everywhere, within the scope of our charter--historical preservation of our motoring history. Streetrodding does show fine personal art, but the cars weren't built that way. Remember, histical preservation. These are two different hobbies and endeavors. Each has its own meaning to its proponents. Let's work together to get an AACA Region going in El Paso; all of the avenues are open to do that if you only look for and ask how to do it.

The AACA evolved the way it has because of the environment (management, locations, mind-sets, rules, etc.) in which it has grown and aged. And yet the club officers have made it a stated goal to "grow the club in the west". But whenever I have offered a suggestion that MIGHT help in such an endeavor, it is immediately shot down because it would require a change to "tradition". <P>Golly gee whiz, we couldn't change the location of the annual meeting (Philly in the winter)-- That's tradition. <P>We can't advertise National Events in the Antique Automobile because that would add pages. <P>We can't do away with the "throw-away" address label (which is the activity request form) because that would cost money. And etc. <P>For the club to grow in the west, the environment needs to change, or it will continue to be an "Eastern" club. Change, of course, means some people are going to get hurt and aren't going to like it. Yet it is clear that if nothing in the club rules/policies/management changes, nothing in the club demographics will change either.<P>RF

We are aware of the western involvement with AACA. We are trying to advertise in some of the Clubs that specilize in the new classes. Hopefully we will get a good thrust for next year. I would like and accept a member on the Membership committe from the west. Maybe Howard Scotland will consider being a part of this committee. I would appreciate the help and advice. Sorry I was not involved previous to today in this forum.<BR>John Walker<BR>VP Membership

• 2 weeks later...

WOW, what a great discussion. Its about time the "west" was explored. Thanks to Howard for pushing the issue. <P>My hobby interests basically started in the West. San Francisco and East Bay. Never heard of the AACA, but did hear about the CCCA and their formation of the Northern California Chapter. I joined and became charter member. Great group, good shows and tours. Of course I couldn't never admit I owned a '39 Buick - (daily driver) ugh. Sports Car Club of America was also very active and sponsored some great shows that included everyone and their various cars.<P>Then my company said go to Ohio, the central part, and work. Took the '39 and soon discovered that every small town had a club and they all held shows. Very quickly discovered my '39, still a daily driver, could hold its own at the local shows. Never heard anything about AACA!!! during my 4 years enjoying the Ohio car events. <P>Then came East to Delaware. First encounter with old car nut brought forth an invitation to join local AACA Region. Of course Hershey was coming up within a month after arrival, but never had any idea it was AACA sponsored. That took a little time to figure out after attending several Region meetings. From then it was into the AACA with both feet, spouse, kids, neighbors and anyone elso who would listen about the hobby and the club.<P>So what's the answer?? The AACA needs to get the word out in the West and any other area for that matter. The other Clubs need to understand who we are, the modifieds, the margues, the independents whoever, all need to understand who we are. More importantly, AACA folks need to understand them and their vehicles, interests and objectives so a closer tie one to the other can be achieved.<P>Lets start by getting the word out. The Western Meets don't have to be the best kept secret outside the membership ranks. Let folks know what's happening!!<P>Looking forward to seeing several westerners on the ballot this year!!<P>Sorry for the length of this post.<P>Chuck

Chuck, yours was a good post and interesting. The one thing that wondered me was your comments about Ohio. If I'm not mistaken, the Ohio Region, with its many chapters, is one of the very oldest Regions in AACA, behind Illinois, which I think is the oldest. And, with a '39 Buick, you've got to be a good man. I've owned a whole bunch of 'em, and still have my favorite one I've had for many years. It even just achieved its Grand National Senior at Montoursville. I hope you still have one too!

Yep, still have the '39. Regarding Ohio, I attended many shows during my stay there and was never approached by any Ohio Regions member to join AACA. I did not here of AACA until arrival in Delaware, 1969. Joined in 1970, Life in '74. <P>Chuck

That's really interesting, because the AACA National President in 1967 was from Ohio. If you've ever seen a Glacier Blue (metallic) 1939 Buick Special with double sidemounts, double whitewall tires and a full blue leather interior at a show, you've seen my '39 Buick. I also had a yellow '39 Special convertible sedan for many years. Last I heard of it, it was in a NC museum.<BR>P.S.: //sheepish smile// suddenly the light has come on and I know what "Chuck" I'm talking to....hi Chuck<P>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 09-05-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Dynaflash8 (edited 09-05-2000).]

Again, good discussion. For RF - please don't assume we feel all your ideas are "bad" but don't also assume that all our responses require us to first stick our heads in the sand. Your ideas are valid and most certainly do impact our success anywhere, but the method of meet registration for example has been thoroughly analyzed. It is under constant review for ways to simplify and improve. but for now remains the most cost effective & efficient method. No doubt the internet will provide some solutions as our capabilities are enhanced - so please be patient, but remember, not everyone knows how to turn the machine on yet. The size of the magazine and cost of operating is something we must be conscious of. Raising membership dues to cover the cost of a larger magazine is not going to do much to help attract members on either side of the country. We give pretty good value for those membership bucks and are much less than other National clubs. Again tho, all this is constantly being looked at for improvement opportunity. The one single solid item that carries through this thread is promotion and publicity - it is an area with plenty of room for improvement. When I first started playing with old cars I heard such excuses as "why do we want the public climbing all over our cars" or "what are you going to do if some hot rod guys show up?" Well, I think we have an obligation to show the public exactly what we are all about. In an era when every shopping center has a car show every weekend, and the term "classic" has been stretched to mean anything with a pin stripe, we owe the public an education about AACA. You are so right about publicity and promotion being the cornerstone of the whole thing. We have a strategic plan and it's an action item that is receiving a lot of attention in various corners - including here on the Web site and DF. Its a topic that will stay fresh and is like you have suggested, one way we can gain strength in the West - and other areas too. Remember that I've already stated there is some individual responsibility connected with this. The tendency is to sit back and wait for "National" to do something. Well, wIthout having National do anything at all, if we each went out and signed up one new member this year we could double our size. Some of us, like Dynaflash have created whole new Regions where none previously existed. All the regulations and guidlines ever printed will not do a thing unless we as individuals take some action too. This thread has given me a lot of good thought for my National Activities Seminar on "Promoting your activity." It will be presented at the Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, and will be taken on the road to a spring meet in a yet to be decided location - as far west as possible I hope. It sure would make great stuff for a series of articles in the Rummage Box also. Your thoughs and ideas always welcome. Oh, Howard Scotland wrote an excellent article some time back about why the Annual Meeting is in Philly - Howard, how about a repeat here on the DF.

Terry, <P>I am having one H of a time getting on here.<BR>For some reason both of my former selves, Hvscotyard and Howard Scotland have become unregistered and cannot seem to be re-established. So I am trying again with hvs smile.gif<P>That Annual Meeting article entitled, "Why Philadelphia" was published some years back in "The Rummage Box." I will look for the original text in my old computer but if you have access to back issues of the RB it might work better that way. I stopped saving them when I left the Board.<P>Howard [now hvs]

One critical point must be made on this thread - If AACA is not doing so well in the West it is an AACA problem - it is NOT because of any lack of interest in the hobby out in the West. I just returned from a two week trip to the NorthWest. I attended four car shows and was invited to see several private collections of some great vehicles. While drving from the Ferry port into Victoria, BC, I saw a bunch of cars at a museum site, stopped, and was invited in to a closed club picnic for the Victoria chapter of the Vintage Car Club of Canada. Talked to several of their officers and members and their webmasters. The activities and interest out West is fantastic.