Interesting Packard on E-Bay

Restorer32

Kind of ungainly looking for a late-'30s custom body, though I would certainly keep it original instead of cutting it up to make a fake woody. Looks like Rollson took a leftover '33 or '34 body and grafted it onto the '39 chassis or something.

Nevertheless, you'd still have a rare, unique car. I wouldn't push it out of my garage for leaking oil on the floor! laugh.gif

I am familiar with this car, though I have no financial interest in it. The rear body section aluminum is in remarkably good condition. Nice that copies of the original drawings are with the car. Drawings and notes reveal that the front fenders were modified by Rollson as well. You don't often see a chauffeur driven Coupe. Car was built for a Mrs Swayze from NYC.

I sorta do. It looks neat in the drawings. Perhaps once it's all painted one nice dark color, I'll like it too.

Rollston/Rollson did not produce a whopping number of good looking vehicles. Most of them are kind of odd-looking "top hat" (high roof) limousines... perhaps a result of too many clients with too much time in the designer's office (or maybe just the opposite, giving the designer dimensions and not looking at the design before approving its go-ahead).

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rollston/Rollson did not produce a whopping number of good looking vehicles. </div></div>

Yes, I agree, this has to be one of their best body designs I've seen. (except for a '37 Victoria-Convertible that was Great)

Like Matt said, It's a combination of the Old and New (for '39 that is), that I like.

The closed version you refer to is, I assume, the one pictured as the first photo in the latest CCCA Rollston article that just came out. I think that car is the best looking Packard Twelve sedan built after 1934, period. It's better looking than a 1938/1939 Brunn Touring Cabriolet because it has a much lower roof line & has the graceful 1937 fender line versus what they did to them in 1938. It's also better looking than the Errol Flynn car in Indiana for the same reason.

Guest imported_Speedster

During the '30s most coach-builder companies designed bodies with Retro '20s styles, since most people that had enough money to buy them were older people that were more familiar with conservative (and considered more elegant) '20s styling and didn't appreciate modern racey designs.

Since we are on the topic of custom bodied cars, here is one of a 1938 (Body 3087) Twelve All Weather Cabriolet by Brunn that is in the Imperial Palace collection in Las Vegas. I took this in July of this year. Sadly, it was the only Packard in the collection at that time.

1985.jpg

A blue light with the owners monogram initials on it. It lights up at night so you can see where your car & chauffer are from a distance after the opera. Soemthing you wouldn't see much outside of NYC. You would not see that car outside of the of $2 movie theatre you know!

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K8096</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A blue light, It lights up at night so you can see where you car & chauffer are. </div></div>

Great idea, I need those on all my cars, to find them in the HomeDepot parking lot. laugh.gif LOL laugh.gif

post-33516-143138007823_thumb.jpg

I believe that the object on the roof is blue lens light fixture that is illuminated when a member of the royal family is riding in the car. With the left hand drive, the car may have seen service in Canada during visits by the royals.

Grandpa