23 model 45 frame?

56Roadmaster

I picked up a 23-45 parts car(if you can call it that)very very rusty and rotten you know the kind here in New England. Interestingly enough the engine, radiator and other running gear were ok. The engine was covered,the odometer was at 20K, After checking out the engine and unsticking the waterpump shaft I got the engine running. Sounds fine, oil pressure is, ok, no smoke, no knocks etc. So I am thinking I would like to build an open pick up out of this (only the cowl is left- no other body parts) I am casually looking for a frame; any available in connecticut?

Scott,

That engine and drive line will fit several years at least 1921,1922,and 1923, the only difference is that 23 uses a different rear spring and the trans has a lock on the lever. I have a 23 model 50 frame (124" wheelbase),and the longer diff assy, it is a little rusty but may be usable.

John Beatty

Sherborn MA

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Ok,

Thanks guys, I'd like to start with John B, the longer chassis might be better for what I have in mind. Could you take a look at yours and see if its still solid? I don't care about some pitting and maybe some small holes to patch, just not to the point where parts of the rails are rotted through/off. If possible can you e-mail privately with some digital pics? wilebile@sbcglobal.net

By the way you guys are right, I've done my fair share of restoration work on some packard super 8's and 12's as well as Chrysler Custom Imperials (CG and CL). I don't know why the hype on those "Classics" The Buick has them beat and nothing runs so darn smooooooth !!!

Scott

Guest Roger_Roy

Scott,

See page 52 of seventy years of Buick for a good example of what you can do without a complete body but also think about the aero bodied race cars of the 20's (the cigar shaped things). Much better to save a car and do something that was used at the time.

Regards

Roger

(I have access to a '24 Chassis but its a bit far to come get it)

Scott,

Sent you a pm, will send some pics tonight.

Packard 12's are nice, worked with Tom Mix's cars

for a few years. 41 Super 8's were his favorite,but a couple of 12's were in the group as well as his 734 Speedster,

a great car!!

John Beatty

Roy,

Thanks, but I have been playing with "super" derelects for years. I have to weld up and patch holes in the cowl not to mention no wood exists, the hood is rusted in half at the center hinge. The fenders are 3/4 rotted apart, and the frame has more holes than a block of swiss cheese. The shift handle is nearly rotted through.

The good thing is I'm pretty good at this game with stuff that should have gone to auto heaven long ago.

Scott

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Paul_Nevells

I have a 23-45 in Pennsylvania, but I need the frame and springs for my project, but I have an engine, trans , rear all brakes and linkages front axles and four wooden wheels all in excellent condition no rust for sale, I am also doing a roadster pickup theme to mine . keep me in the loop with any pictures you might have and I will do the same,

Thank you

Paul Nevells

quartermilefarm@hotmail.com

• 9 months later...

Here's an update, I picked up a number of parts from John. I now have enough to start digging into this project. I am now looking for 4 roadable wheels, would prefer 24", rims, front fenders, windshield frame, head lights. I did get some wheels form John, which need mew spokes, and I still need 24" fronts, who is a good wheel wright in the New England area?

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, I have heard good things about this company, but have never personally used them. They are in PA.

www.calimerswheelshop.com

Would be worth a call, and if they are too far might be able to recommend someone in your immediate area.

John

1923 McLaughlin Buick 45 Special Export

1928 Buick Town Brougham model 29

1969 Mercedes Benz Unimog

1989 Ford Taurus SHO (2 of them)