Substitute Gas Tank

Chacheska

I used to keep the gas tanks in all my various 1930's cars full when gas was relatively cheap but now I tend to keep them empty. Instead of putting a few gallons in and draining each one before the gas gets stale I thought it may be better to use a 5 gallon gas container with a length of rubber fuel line coming from the fuel pump directly into the container to run the car. I thought of this recently when my 1932 Buick quit on me twice. I disconnected the fuel line and used an electric fuel pump to suck the gas from the tank through the fuel line. I got a lot of gunk in the filter that I connected before the fuel pump which bolstered my suspicion that the fuel line was plugging up from sediment in the tank. The fuel pump and bowl had a lot of sediment so I cleaned them both thoroughly, ran fuel hose into a 5 gallon plastic gas container I placed on the running board from the fuel pump and tested the car several times. It runs fine so now I need to remove the tank and have it boiled out.

It's easy to run a rubber fuel line through any number of holes in the floors and firewalls of 1930's cars because of the batteries in the floor and holes in the firewall. Has anyone tried this before? I'm not talking about highway driving or caravans here, just short rides around a few blocks in the neighborhood. Does a gas container need to have a vent hole for air to escape? Other than the obvious danger of having 5 gallons of gas on the front floor is there any other downside to running a car this way that I may not be thinking of? Should I make sure my will is up to date?

Guest Dart1917

We used to strap down 5 gallon outboard motor tanks in the backseat of cars for the demo derby. They are low profile so they don't tip over easily and are vented and have a fuel pickup built in.

I've been using the outboard motor gas tank trick for years. For testing engines, moving cars around that have no gas tank, or driving short distances when the gas or the tank are suspect.

Most have a built in pump that allows you to prime the carburetor or even run with no fuel pump if necessary.

Use a clear plastic line and you can see the gas.

They are much safer than a gallon can tied to the rad with bailing wire.

There is no reason you couldn't drive from coast to coast on one, if you didn't mind the frequent stops for gas.

Guest Skyking

When my brother was building his Model A street rod he used a 5 gal can for years before putting saddle tanks in the car.......It worked fine for him.

Spare gas tanks are dangerous.

Do not use them.

Let me tell you about a WWII B-52 (?) that was found on the ice shelf up north. They put in a new engine, got it running and were in a hurry to take off. A gas generator broke loose inside the plane, leaked gas and destroyed the plane.

All they could do is watch it burn.

If you are lucky, you could be outside of your car and also watch it burn with out you inside of it.

Guest leadsled1953

i think i paid $5 for a metal boat tank at a flea market.i have a couple plastic ones.they are about $25 new.i had them for the demo derbys.the plastic ones have a vent built into the gas cap.

Guest leadsled1953

of course they were bolted down in the trunk and i had a sheet metal firewall between the trunk and the interior.

Thanks, folks. I was prepared for the warnings. I have no intention of becoming a french fry. Most plastic gas containers have a small secondary vent cap. The newer ones don't but feeding the hose down through the pour spout still leaves some air around the hose which most likely will act as a vent for oxygen exchange. I don't intend to do this on a regular or prolonged basis. As for the outboard tanks ....... you mean as used in boats? Are those available from marina outlets? I've seen people sell fuel cells but was told they're not ideal for this application because of the bottom not being flat. All warning have been definitely noted here.

Hello There,I think that places that sell boats would have them,i would shop around as prices and sizes will vary,some of the bigger hardware stores might have them too.you could even try a flea market for a used one. HTH Harvey B

Guest leadsled1953

the metal boat tanks are pretty cheap used.i have 3 of them in sizes from 3 -7 gallons.check the flea markets.also talk to the demo derby guys ,chances are they have a few extra ones laying around.

We have a fuel cell from our Legends racecar. It is small in size and is in excellent condition. If you are interested let me know. The only reason we took it out is INEX, the ruling body of Legends racing, changed the design and required that drivers update the fuel cell.

I would think it would be safer than driving around with a gas can in your car since it is designed as a fuel source for a vehicle.