1940 Packard Question

Steve_Mack_CT

Thanks, a friend is considering selling the 1940 Packard he has had for 25+ years, when they got it he was very enthused, and went through the car mechanically including a complete engine rebuild. He then stuffed it in a corner, as he has a few other cars. A few years ago, he completed the body work. Car is being painted - black not the original green but it was taken completely apart, I know it will be a good quality paint job. New chrome. He is thinking of selling once it is back together, but will leave the interior to the new owner. My memory said "120" as I have not seen the car in some time, but we discussed this weekend, and it is actually a "110". So 6 not 8, and the shorter nose may not make for as attractive porportions. That said, it could be a fun car to drive around, well see. Any thoughts on value, guys?

Depending on the interior, I would think around $15-25K. Not debating on the merits of Junior vs Senior cars, but a very decent 37 senior which is a very desirable year driver went for probably around $40K. I would think a top 110 would top out around $35 for a closed model.

Thanks Ken, yeah, I am a lot less enthused about the car now, my friend does quality work, and as an amatuer has won some awards with his other cars. But it is the most Jr. car, and 35 grand would be way more than I would go on that - I see one in HMN today for 12,500 - ready to go with an interior. I really think I want an 8 at least, and a Sr. would be CCCA listed -something else to think about..

Steve, I have a '41 160 Sedan model 1903 that I am considering selling. Strong #2. Would consicer $30K. I am located in Rhinebeck, NY. You can call me at 845.876.7309. Regards, John.

Steve,

That $35K would be for a outstanding car. I don't know if you could get $35K for one. I would think in the condition you state $20K or less. And as you know, you need to be careful about what you see for sale, though you really can't tell the condition of the car until you see it in person so I take ad prices with a grain of salt. I got a call about my Bird when it was for sale. The guy was looking for one and got tired of seeing drivers advertized as trailer queens. Though he wasn't willing to pay the $ to get a nice car like my Bird. tired.gif

The guy who got my Bird got a well sorted out car, and got a top notch car. Unfortunately the market on T-Birds of that era isn't quite as strong as open pre-war Packards frown.gif

I would hold out for a pre-war senior if you are looking for a closed car. The prices of the closed juniors are just too close to the seniors though the 35-36 juniors will ride better. However I would go for a open junior in a second. Just my opinion.

Thanks John. 30K is a bit much for me right now, unless I sell something. BUT I do have a friend looking specifically for a pre-war sedan for his first antique car. He wants no projects, just something ready to roll & he could do that price range. Bigger is better, as it will see limited duty in his B&B, so he expects to take guests on rides occasionally. Been trying to steer him to a Packard, we were close on one, but no cigar yet. Will pass it on, we may call you as Rhineback is not that far.

Ken, Tbirds of the 60s continue to be underrated IMO, much more car than a lot of the muscle. Congrats on sale, hope you came close to that 39 grand. Love the open cars, would be tough to part with our Olds, a 46K original mile car.

TBirds are a competitive market, Ken. But at least you get to bring the Cadillac home. So what's the new "handle", or are you keeping Tbirdman??! grin.gif

Saw the HMN article, 110s basically ignored. Well see..

Steve,

I don't know about a new handle. Unfortunately I own the tbirdman.com domain. I should probably had picked a more generic name like carnuts.com or intheshop.com smirk.gif The nice thing about owning a domain is if you switch Internet providers your email doesn't.

Tbirdman is significant though because 10 year ago that Thunderbird got me into this hobby.

Well went to a 200 car cruise in. A beautiful 40's Packard convertible showed up. I tried to speak with them but everytime I went by the car, they were not around the car.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its not all that out of line. Don't you have a bird on top of your grille shell? </div></div>

Yes I do, though I've been tempted to put a donut chaser on it. The car was actually sold to the dealer with the sliding boy, but was removed by the dealer with some other nice peripherals before he sold the car to me. I didn't realize what the dealer had removed until I spoke with the previous owner last year.

Look closely at the picture West posted a week or so ago of his car at the office in the "general" forum under a discussion about daily drivers. Car is at a slight angle, and there they are, in plain view - HUGE WWW!! Now, that would not be a plain bail kind of guy! Hmm. grin.gif

That must have been an old photo. Here are the black walls.

I kinda like the donut-pusher on the early '30s cars. The difference is that the plain bale for the early '30s cars is basically just a cap, while the 1935 and later bales are kind of sleek looking (especially the 1941-42).

post-33613-143137986616_thumb.jpg

Guest bkazmer

The 41-2 is not plain - it's a stylized feather or wing. I find it interesting that the ads mostly promote the "new " look of the small hood ornament, painted head lamp rings, no sidemounts , and no running boards. Yet many buyers and restorers opt for the more traditional choices (Yes I confess to the bling, expect for my blackwalls)

In regards to the '41-42 ornament, I didn't say plain, I said "sleek." I really like the bail of the 1941-42, with the brass in the front and the plastic wing in the back. Also, Dutch Darrin preferred this on his sleek cars, and that's the way he would have built it if it were left to him. He detested the big bird on top.

Mark me down for leaving off the running boards and the sidemounts as well.

Have we hi-jacked this thread enough, yet? blush.gif

post-33613-143137986644_thumb.jpg

Certainly you're aware that the Senior cars (1940-41) came standard with both sets of trim rings, aren't you???

But it's funny you bring that up, as after I posted the picture I was thinking how nice it would look without the inner ones, and if I'd paint the wheels olive green.... hmmmmm confused.gif

Guest bkazmer

I hope others realize this is all a good natured discussion, but I nominate West as an honorary "black bumper Mennonite".

Just don't you dare pinstripe those olive wheels!

Now if that AC unit is too decadent, I know an empty trunk that could hide it for you........ wink.gif

Not one to be bashful about steeling ideas, I just went out in the garage and painted the bumpers black. I don't think I like it... sick.gif I guess a little bling is good.

And I do intend to pinstripe those olive wheels once I get them painted. No time today, though.

post-33613-143137986793_thumb.jpg

OK, so I am looking at an older copy of Packards International magazine tonight and I see a '38 or '39 Packard six with sidemounts - so any more thoughts on the sheetmetal question?

(Not to discourage this discussion about plain vs. "loaded" - common debate with the Model A crowd - some of us love to adorn our cars with all manner of fun or funny stuff.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so I am looking at an older copy of Packards International magazine tonight and I see a '38 or '39 Packard six with sidemounts - so any more thoughts on the sheetmetal question?</div></div>

Only 120's had sidemounts. Front Fenders and hoods on 110's are different (shorter)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any sheetmetal difference between a 1940 "110" & "120" nose? length, etc. I know this is the case on the earlier cars but not sure about these.

Thanks </div></div>

Steve

According to the parts book, there is a difference between the Sixes and the 120s. Also, as previously stated, sidemounts were not offered on the Sixes.

Thanks guys, please resume hijacking now! I have had a chance to really get a better look at the lines of the 110, not bad at all, really for 1940. I think the short nose is a little more pronounced in the earlier 110-115 models. (nose is off this car, it is there, but sitting in the basement for now. all panels, doors, etc. are in new paint, main body to be done this month or next.)

Good point on the market, Dave. I have first right of refusal on this one, and will let him do the pricing - probably best in the long run anyway.

Guest BigKev

"Buy low, sell high."

Oh is that how it goes...I guess I heard it backwards before I bought my house! crazy.gif