fire

Guest Motu 56

Guest Motu 56

I was driving down the highway when I lost my dash and I saw smoke coming out of the dash. Any one have a similar problem?

Nothing serious.

You are going to need a new IPC Instrument Panel cluster.

About a year ago my brother in law, who doesn't like to ask for help, had his smoke on his Riviera. After he proceeded to remove his whole dash board, thinking there was a wiring problem, he called me. I put a good IPC in his car and everything worked good. I put his in my Reatta and after about 30 seconds it started to smoke.

I have a good IPC available and can be reached at jfinn@cpinternet.com

Guest EDBSO

All electronics are filled with magic smoke from the factory. This is what makes them work!

Let the smoke out and the part stops working.

You can not simply replace the old smoke with fresh working smoke you must replace the piece.

Sometimes ferry dust might replace the smoke but usually the part must be replaced.

An insider's view on electronics.

Guest EDBSO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So Barney has only been funny 9 times?!? How many times has he been mad? </div></div>

Barney doesn't get mad ... now ...Nancy whistle.gifgrin.gifwhistle.gif

Guest Squire Tom

my 91 icp works great , but the vent on the windshield side does not look so good , also there is a lingering aroma that is similar to an electrical issue. previous owner must have had an issue and replaced the instrument panel.

ac compressor fuse is still going ok after losing two 20 amp fuses in a short time

Guest Orono

I am so bummed!!! I just took the route Jim's brother in-law did. :-(

I would still like to get your opinions.

A few weeks ago the starter would not engage. Rapping on the starter a number of times got it started so I planned for a new starter. A couple of days later I saw smoke from lower dash / steering column area. I stopped to investigate & then drove home with out any more smoke. I did a search in the forum but I did not find anything so I dug in. Since smoke rises I started at the bottom with the ignition switch and worked my way up through the steering column. I have found no evidence of melted wires. I did not pull the IPC because it is working fine.

One other bit of info, when I bought the car the interior lights, door locks, etc were not working. I repaired corroded splices under the seats and everything works except the interior lights only work with the dash switch. I had found the previous owner rewired the trunk & tonnau cover. I wonder if I missed other "custom wiring"?

So what do you think, are these items connected? -or- It's just a coincidence and replace the IPC?