Nostalgia for those born in the late 40's!

Gary_N

But Gary......it says Ffffff.....Faaa...faa....Ooooohhhh, I can't say it! So I'll guess I'll have ta spell it...

<span style="font-size: 17pt">F-O-R-D</span> on the front... shocked.gif

It would be a wonder if that Buick nail head ran at all after bein insulted like that! crazy.gif

And a Tin lizzy ta boot.... eek.gif

Dandy Dave! wink.gif

I have no proof of what I say next , and that being said, I heard that the Nailhead was often chosen for projects like this because of it's compact size ... and kick butt attitude! ( I just added the last part myself)

To me, if you're going to build any type of hot road roadster, there's only 2 engine choices, one that I won't mention and the other being a Nailhead. Not sure if anyone went to the dragstrip in the old days, but Tommy Ivo had the coolest dragster there was, a four nailhead engine rail. Used to run down the strip with all 4 tires smoking!

Gary

Guest John Chapman

Even more historical trivia...

Could it be the Nailhead in the T model isn't coincidence? TV Tommy Ivo was an actor in the movie (check IMDB.com, he's not on the bill.) TV Tommy had a career in Hollywood before becoming a race driver. This movie might have been one of his last roles.

JMC

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Ol Guy;

Do you remember a SoCal guy named Max Balchowsky and a "sports car" named "Old Yeller"? Ugly thrown together thing painted parking lot stripe yellow, destroked nailhead, Cad box, truck brakes? Forgot to mention that that old nailhead would do upwards of 8000 RPM and Max blew by those Ferraris around 175 MPH. Big old brakes would stop it about like throwing out the anchor on the QE2. About the ame era as TV Tommy Ivo.

Anybody else remember it?

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear Joe:

If Old Yeller was properly restored, there should be brush marks in the paint, as I remember it was painted that way originally. I wonder what our "concours" judges would think?

Regards, Dave Corbin

Dave

As with most of the restorations , I would wager that the paint and body fits are MUCH better than the original product.

I have lived in the Flint area all my life, and watched Buicks and Chevs come down the assembly line with door gaps you could throw a cat through , and the front clip a different shade than the rest of the car ( the body was painted at Fisher body, and the clip at the assembly plant)