Prewar auto notes magazine with 34 Packard article

tbirdman

I thought Tom might be interested. I just received unsolicited in the mail, a introductory magazine issue called Prewar autonotes. It has an article in it about the 34 Packard specifically with pictures of a coupe roadster. What was interesting is the article talked about the 33 packards but did not mentioned 32 at all. I consider the 32-34 all quite similiar though the 32 is the best looking of the three years smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldn't that car ordinarily have the grille inserts and louvers painted?

</div></div>

The shutters and the grille shutter could be had either way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would one of you guys mind posting the phone number, web site, address, etc. for this magazine? Mr. Google was not helpful this time.

Thanks </div></div>

E2315 County Road B

Scandinavia, WI 54977

715-445-5387

kcmath@tds.net

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken,

Oh yeah? Well my coupe roadster can beat up your coupe roadster!

T

p.s. I will see if I can find Auto Notes. Amazing the freaking diversity of periodicals. </div></div>

Another interesting magazine is Skinned Knuckles. As the title implies, it's a lot of hands on articles. Every magazine has been a delight to read. I normally give away my magazines that I subscribe to quite quickly to a friend, but I told him his not getting these as they have a lot of valuable references.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldn't that car ordinarily have the grille inserts and louvers painted? </div></div>

"Ordinarily," yes. But as Ken said, anyway you want it. Personally, I prefer the shell painted, with the inserts and louvers kept chrome.

I've seen all chrome; all paint; shell painted louvers chrome; shell chrome louvers painted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrpushbutton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wouldn't that car ordinarily have the grille inserts and louvers painted? </div></div>

"Ordinarily," yes. But as Ken said, anyway you want it. Personally, I prefer the shell painted, with the inserts and louvers kept chrome.

I've seen all chrome; all paint; shell painted louvers chrome; shell chrome louvers painted. </div></div>

I 2nd the motion of liking chrome shutters and painted grill shell. The chrome grill sets off the front end, butthe grill shell is too much. Also the painted shell makes the car look longer.

Unless you specified otherwise, the Eights had chrome radiator shell with body-color shutters; the Super Eight was chrome shell and shutters, and the Twelve was chrome shutters and the shell painted body color. Any combination could have been had in any series, and in the Twelve there was no charge for most "special paint" options. In the Eight and Super 8 the special paint charges were about $10-12 for most items (see Salesman's Data Book for details) but it's really not clear if the various shutter/shell options were freebies or not.

Guest imported_Speedster

The strangest is some of the '39s which have every-other-one of the shutters chrome and the others painted black.

The first time I saw one like that I thought the guy had really gone Wacko, but then I found out that it was Original.

See pic:

post-33516-143137978714_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

A really Great car, but this is one that I think would look better with Painted grille-shell and headlights. Just has a Too Much chrome for me. I'm not sure where I got the pictures of it, but I think is was on eBay, about a year ago.

Here's another pic of it:

post-33516-143137978738_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_Speedster

I Do think the whitewall tires look better, on that car.

When my pics were taken it had blackwalls.