1930 Packard 733 Sedan Mechanical Restoration/preservation

Dear All,

I have decided to create a website to chronicle my efforts at restoring and preserving a 1930 Packard standard eight sedan. The car lived it's entire life in Hagerstown, MD until I bought it in 2007. The car was a daily driver for a widow until she passed sometime in the 50s. From there it passed through a couple of owners, with the longest owner storing the car in his museum for a few decades. Given the lack of corrosion, this car was very well treated. The entire car is essentially rust free, and the body is completely straight.

The car is, as far as I can tell, original in paint and interior. A few mechanical changes were made which I will try to reverse, including getting the correct generator and a correct looking oil filter.

It is now slowly coming apart for a mechanical restoration. As I add to the website, I will post here notifying interested folks of the additions.

Please visit: http://www.packardpaddock.com for more.

Cheers,

Tom

post-54016-143137978277_thumb.jpg

Well, the engine has been removed! On Tuesday and Thursday of last week my brother Charlie and I worked to get various things ready for removal of the engine. On Saturday, with the help of a couple of pros, the engine was removed. To see photos and read about the experience:

Photo albums:

http://www.packardpaddock.com/Packard_Paddock/Photo_Albums/Photo_Albums.html

The newest few albums are at the bottom of the page.

Blog:

http://www.packardpaddock.com/Packard_Paddock/The_Paddock_Tribune/The_Paddock_Tribune.html

Thanks for following along.

Cheers,

Tom

Robert,

I am glad you like the car. I think it is great, particularly given the beautiful interior appointments that are all still there.

I have finally gotten my shocks off. It took a few days, and a lot of banging. I have updated the blog. The new entry is at:

http://www.packardpaddock.com/Packard_Paddock/The_Paddock_Tribune/Entries/2008/4/26_Friggin_Shocks_Off!.html

Cheers,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

It has been awhile since I could get out to the garage. I finally got back out this past weekend. I have started to take apart the front end. The plan is to get everything off the front end and then start the refurbishing of those parts before continuing towards the back. The updated blog can be found at:

http://www.packardpaddock.com/Packard_Paddock/The_Paddock_Tribune/The_Paddock_Tribune.html

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bill,

The main bearings, crank bearings and other crankcase stuff was done by Hart Machine in Cecil, OH. I just got it back the week of Xmas! A very nice present. The head and cylinder work was done locally.

Mike,

Soda blasting won't really remove deep rust, for that you need aluminum oxide. The nice thing about Soda is that you have a much better chance of preserving paint that is in the immediate area and also a much lower chance of warping the metal.

Thanks all for the positive comments.

Tom

• 2 months later...

There have been a bunch of updates to my website. New blog entries can be found <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">here</span></span>, and new photo albums can be found <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">here</span></span>.

The new photo albums cover removing and refurbishing the steering gear, column and wheel, removing the body, and blasting the frame. The new blog entries cover the oil pump, steering gear, and body removal.

I also have posted a mini article on using a vibratory parts cleaner.

Thanks for following along!

Cheers,

Tom

I have added a new entry on tearing down the transmission. If anyone is curious about what the interior of a non-synchromesh tranny looks, there are also lots of photos.

Blog entry is <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000066">here</span></span>.

Photos are <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000066">here</span></span>.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday was the last day of work on the 1930 sedan for the next two months. From now until then, I will be focusing on getting the 1932 Light Eight back on the road. The goal with this first effort is to get it running well and safe for road travel. It needs a major refurbishing, but that will wait until the 1930 is completed. So, yesterday the 30 chassis was taken to storage, and the 32 light eight was put in its place.

I posted the latest entry for the PP Tribune, focused on the fuse block refurbishing, here.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

For some reason either my Apple or my server does not like your "blog" where you hide all your photographs and the description of what you are doing. I guess that I will just have to be satisfied with what I am doing with my Packard and not be peeping over other peoples shoulders to see what they are up to. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem or if it is just me. I seem to have that effect on a lot of other Packard people.

oldcar.

1923 Single Six

1934 Lagonda Rapier.

Hello 34PackardRoadsta.

I know it is "cool" to have links to other sites where the clever people can watch you on video and all that but for the benefit of some of the mere mortals around the world perhaps you could include some of your better photographs on your post.

If I can manage to do it I am sure that anyone can.

oldcar

23 Single Six (Packard)

34 Lagonda Rapier

96 Peugeot 405 SRi

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)