Sign in to follow this  
Karla Maxwell

1911 Stoddard

Thanks for that bit of info West. I have such a clear memory of seeing the one and only Stoddard-Dayton I watch running i had to check the date on the photo, 1967, and it is a clear in my mind as if it was this afternoon. Twin underhead cams with exposed rockers on a 4 cylinder HEMI, what a work of art!

Yeah West, That is what a few of my friends wanted me to do with the chassies that I had. Just repower it. But being a true purest at heart, I just could not do it. I would rather see someone get it that had the stuff to put something together correctly, rather than hang on it with little possibility of ever finding anything original to make it run once again. Dave!

Hi- Though only in business nine years, the Dayton Motor Car plant probably offered more types of engines than maybe any other company. Supplying cars with engines like the Rutenber and Atlas, they also manufactured a diverse line in-house. From a T-head four cylinder grew an overhead valve type actuated by single rocker arms, and some actuated by double rocker arms, as well as a six cylinder. In 1911 alone they offered 20, 30, 40, and 50 horse power cars. They also pioneered the sleeve valve engine.

Don't expect to find the double rocker engine in every Stoddard, only the larger series.

By the way, if you want to see a double rocker hemi engine run, go to Youtube and search for Greg & Stoddard. There are numerous episodes, I think it is #3 where it runs; looks and sounds great! David Coco Winchester Va.