1911 Stoddard

Guest Karla Maxwell

Guest Karla Maxwell

I'm currently restoring the enameled radiator emblem for a 1911 Stoddard and have a plating question. Does anyone out there know if it would have been nickel, gold or left unplated? This was during the time period when it was common for the emblems to be soldered directly onto the radiator and I've found other makes of the time did not plate. The owner is unsure. Can you help? Thanks in advance...Karla

Guest Karla Maxwell

I'm currently restoring the enameled radiator emblem for a 1911 Stoddard and have a plating question. Does anyone out there know if it would have been nickel, gold or left unplated? This was during the time period when it was common for the emblems to be soldered directly onto the radiator and I've found other makes of the time did not plate. The owner is unsure. Can you help? Thanks in advance...Karla

I had the remains of an 11 or 12 Stoddard Dayton roadster a number of year ago and did a lot of research. The emblem should be brass. The one I had, had an antique white enameled back ground between the lettering. Vantastic car. If I only had a motor and transmission, I would have kept it. 48 HP was the engine it should have had. Overhead valves and two cams, one on each side of the motor.

Stoddard Dayton was also the first to use a Knight sleeve valve engine. Brisco and his US Motors empire killed the company. Somehow he managed to save only Maxwell which became Chrysler Corp. smile.gif Dave!

I had the remains of an 11 or 12 Stoddard Dayton roadster a number of year ago and did a lot of research. The emblem should be brass. The one I had, had an antique white enameled back ground between the lettering. Vantastic car. If I only had a motor and transmission, I would have kept it. 48 HP was the engine it should have had. Overhead valves and two cams, one on each side of the motor.

Stoddard Dayton was also the first to use a Knight sleeve valve engine. Brisco and his US Motors empire killed the company. Somehow he managed to save only Maxwell which became Chrysler Corp. smile.gif Dave!

Dave that was back in 1992 that I thought about buying your Stoddard remains! Passing on it was the right move for me, but it sure would have made a great car. Did anything happen with it or was it just a parts doner? The badge should be brass as others have said. The photos are from Antique Automobile cover cars, I still have a file on Stoddard-Dayton.

post-31159-143137976278_thumb.jpg

post-31159-143137976281_thumb.jpg

Dave that was back in 1992 that I thought about buying your Stoddard remains! Passing on it was the right move for me, but it sure would have made a great car. Did anything happen with it or was it just a parts doner? The badge should be brass as others have said. The photos are from Antique Automobile cover cars, I still have a file on Stoddard-Dayton.

Hi- this has to be in reference to Greg's Stoddard, for those interested, go to YouTube and search Stoddard, there are videos of him running this original hemi engine, with lots of "monkey motion" (exposed rocker arms and push rods) as mentioned on both sides of engine. Amazing, and a beautiful restoration in progress. David Coco Winchester Virginia

Hi- this has to be in reference to Greg's Stoddard, for those interested, go to YouTube and search Stoddard, there are videos of him running this original hemi engine, with lots of "monkey motion" (exposed rocker arms and push rods) as mentioned on both sides of engine. Amazing, and a beautiful restoration in progress. David Coco Winchester Virginia

When I sold it, It went to Colorado. I may still have the fellow's name somewhere. He needed the rearend as he had none, but he did have a motor that he found in an old mine as I remember. Could be the same fellow on U-tube but I am not sure. The fuel tank on the floor sure looks just like the one I had with my car. I watched the U-tube video a while ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Someday maybe I will be fortunate enough to own a Stoddard Dayton again. Only the next one will be a fairly complete driver. Absolutely beautiful automobiles. smile.gif Dave!

When I sold it, It went to Colorado. I may still have the fellow's name somewhere. He needed the rearend as he had none, but he did have a motor that he found in an old mine as I remember. Could be the same fellow on U-tube but I am not sure. The fuel tank on the floor sure looks just like the one I had with my car. I watched the U-tube video a while ago and enjoyed it immensely.

Someday maybe I will be fortunate enough to own a Stoddard Dayton again. Only the next one will be a fairly complete driver. Absolutely beautiful automobiles. smile.gif Dave!

Guest Karla Maxwell

WOW!! You guys are great! and fast.......Will pass along the info to the car owner. He was lamenting that he did not know of any Stoddard groups.

As a side note [to really stir things up] an emblem collector tells me he has 2 Stoddard emblem [regular and Dayton] and both show traces of gold plating.

Thanks for all the help..........Karla

And yes.....I restore enameled emblems to show quality.

Guest Karla Maxwell

WOW!! You guys are great! and fast.......Will pass along the info to the car owner. He was lamenting that he did not know of any Stoddard groups.

As a side note [to really stir things up] an emblem collector tells me he has 2 Stoddard emblem [regular and Dayton] and both show traces of gold plating.

Thanks for all the help..........Karla

And yes.....I restore enameled emblems to show quality.

Karla, I just noticed I've known Gregg since 1980, he had a great letterhead that I added to my collection. That Stoddard restoration has been a long one. Stoddard Dayton had their own custom made spark plugs, wonder if any of them are still around?

post-31159-143137976349_thumb.jpg

Karla, I just noticed I've known Gregg since 1980, he had a great letterhead that I added to my collection. That Stoddard restoration has been a long one. Stoddard Dayton had their own custom made spark plugs, wonder if any of them are still around?

I have wondered about that for years. The chassies and parts that I had came from a local farm. The car belonged to Otto Olson who was the brother of the farm owner, Albert Olson. Albert was a friend of mine and he died in 1982 or 1983. The story on the Stoddard is that Otto went to serve the nation in WW1, and while over seas in France Albert drove the car to death and parked it out back when it would no longer run. When Otto came home and saw the car he was very upset that the car was in such run down condition. The brothers did not speak to each other for years because of it. The motor and transmission, radiator and other parts were scraped in 1939 by a neighbor, Joe Zullo, for the war effort. The sheet metal, frame, and rearend, and other parts stayed behind. A lot of local collectors tried to buy the remains for years. Albert would always tell them, "It belongs to my brother Otto", ask him. Otto would say, "ask my brother Albert" and no one could ever get together on it because the brothers would not talk. Otto past away first, and then Albert several years later. The farm was left to Alberts nephew and there was an auction. I went and bid on the remains of the car and got it for $27.50. Yes, that's twenty seven dollars and fifty cents. A lot of local's did not know the auction was on and when some of the local collectors heard what I bought it for, they came and tried to buy it. I kept it for about 10 years and searched for a motor and trans with no luck and finally decided to sell it. I have always had a hankering to own a Stoddard because of the connection with that old frame, and also the relationship I had with Albert in my childhood.

I still have a 1924 McCormick Deering 15-30 tractor that came from Alberts place. I could tell more storys about Albert as he was quite a fellow and was a real old time machinery operator. He was an adventurous fellow in his younger years. Flew a Piper Cub and did things in his life that a boy would dream of doing. I looked up to him. smile.gif Dave!

I have wondered about that for years. The chassies and parts that I had came from a local farm. The car belonged to Otto Olson who was the brother of the farm owner, Albert Olson. Albert was a friend of mine and he died in 1982 or 1983. The story on the Stoddard is that Otto went to serve the nation in WW1, and while over seas in France Albert drove the car to death and parked it out back when it would no longer run. When Otto came home and saw the car he was very upset that the car was in such run down condition. The brothers did not speak to each other for years because of it. The motor and transmission, radiator and other parts were scraped in 1939 by a neighbor, Joe Zullo, for the war effort. The sheet metal, frame, and rearend, and other parts stayed behind. A lot of local collectors tried to buy the remains for years. Albert would always tell them, "It belongs to my brother Otto", ask him. Otto would say, "ask my brother Albert" and no one could ever get together on it because the brothers would not talk. Otto past away first, and then Albert several years later. The farm was left to Alberts nephew and there was an auction. I went and bid on the remains of the car and got it for $27.50. Yes, that's twenty seven dollars and fifty cents. A lot of local's did not know the auction was on and when some of the local collectors heard what I bought it for, they came and tried to buy it. I kept it for about 10 years and searched for a motor and trans with no luck and finally decided to sell it. I have always had a hankering to own a Stoddard because of the connection with that old frame, and also the relationship I had with Albert in my childhood.

I still have a 1924 McCormick Deering 15-30 tractor that came from Alberts place. I could tell more storys about Albert as he was quite a fellow and was a real old time machinery operator. He was an adventurous fellow in his younger years. Flew a Piper Cub and did things in his life that a boy would dream of doing. I looked up to him. smile.gif Dave!

While Brisco and US Motors was not good for Stoddard, I think the final nail in the coffin was the Dayton flood of 1913 that wiped out the factory. From what I've heard, original S-D engines are quite rare, and many (maybe most???) Stoddard-Daytons that are on the road are powered by something else.

Thanks for that bit of info West. I have such a clear memory of seeing the one and only Stoddard-Dayton I watch running i had to check the date on the photo, 1967, and it is a clear in my mind as if it was this afternoon. Twin underhead cams with exposed rockers on a 4 cylinder HEMI, what a work of art!

Yeah West, That is what a few of my friends wanted me to do with the chassies that I had. Just repower it. But being a true purest at heart, I just could not do it. I would rather see someone get it that had the stuff to put something together correctly, rather than hang on it with little possibility of ever finding anything original to make it run once again. Dave!

Hi- Though only in business nine years, the Dayton Motor Car plant probably offered more types of engines than maybe any other company. Supplying cars with engines like the Rutenber and Atlas, they also manufactured a diverse line in-house. From a T-head four cylinder grew an overhead valve type actuated by single rocker arms, and some actuated by double rocker arms, as well as a six cylinder. In 1911 alone they offered 20, 30, 40, and 50 horse power cars. They also pioneered the sleeve valve engine.

Don't expect to find the double rocker engine in every Stoddard, only the larger series.

By the way, if you want to see a double rocker hemi engine run, go to Youtube and search for Greg & Stoddard. There are numerous episodes, I think it is #3 where it runs; looks and sounds great! David Coco Winchester Va.