Woo-hoo, my engine is home! Uh, now what?

Matt Harwood

Went to the machine shop to pick up the Century's freshly rebuilt 320 straight-8 last night. From water pump to the clutch, it's 100% new and fresh, resplendent in its Dante Red paint. I never thought 900 pounds of cast iron could look so good.

So now that I have it home, I'm wondering how to store it until this summer when I get the chassis back together. Right now, it's sitting in the bed of my Dodge 2500 pickup and it's snowing (don't worry, at least it's under the tonneau cover). I have temporary permission to store it at the warehouse where my wife works, but it's just laying on a pallet like a corpse. And since the flywheel and clutch are already installed, I can't hang it back on my engine stand. I'm thinking about building a wooden cart with wheels to hold it, but my bigger concern is keeping it sealed until it comes time to fire it up. It'll probably be in my unheated, uninsulated garage for a while.

I'm considering shrink-wrapping it with that blue stuff the boat owners use to seal up their boats for the winter, and perhaps using some dessicant inside to absorb moisture. Anyone used this stuff or have any other thoughts for keeping it safe and sound for a few months? For what I have invested in this engine, I need to protect it like the Hope Diamond.

By the way, Al Blake and the guys at Classic Auto Repair Service (CARS, of course) here in Cleveland are knowledgable and professional, do top-notch work, and were a pleasure to work with. Al was <span style="font-style: italic">extremely</span> understanding and patient with me during the rebuild, which, because of some big life changes, stretched out to more than a year. But if you want it done right, take your engine there. Thank you, Al and CARS.

Thanks!

Congrats on the new engine! I would be more incline to putting it on a stand and make sure all internal parts are coated with oil for the winter rest. I would not wrap it in plastic as that will trap moisture and encourage it to rust, messing up that nice paint job. Just a thought.

I went to one of those junk tool stores and bought a 4 wheel appliance dolly cheap ($22), nailed / screwed some 2x4's to it and have used that for setting small engines on. You may be able to rig something using 2 dollies?

My wife just bought me as a Christmas gift some of those packets that absorb moisture but I won't know till spring if they actually work? A painters drop cloth will work better then plastic to cover it as it won't trap moisture.

Guest imported_Thriller

Wheel dollies are typically rated to 1000 lbs. each and come in pairs...something could be rigged up to hold the engine.

If a good job was done with assembly lube, there probably isn't a big worry (although I can understand where you are coming from), as just about everything internal should have a film on. Sorry I can't offer anything more definitive.

900 lbs? Makes me glad I have the "small" 8 in my '41SE grin.gif

Ask and ye shall receive. Here it is in the back of the Big Red Dodge. I'll have better shots in the near future:

EngineHome1.jpg

EngineHome2.jpg

EngineHome3.jpg

I do like the idea of storing it inside, but I doubt my ancient wooden floors will support 862 pounds of Buick straight-8, never mind getting it up the steps! But what a cool conversation piece.

Guest ZondaC12

I dunno how you are with making video and digitizing it, but if by any chance you are would you be able to post a video or even audio clip on your site of it running once it is? I would really love to hear one of these inline eights through the dual manifolds!

Looks great though! Nothing like freshly painted parts!

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZondaC12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno how you are with making video and digitizing it, but if by any chance you are would you be able to post a video or even audio clip on your site of it running once it is? I would really love to hear one of these inline eights through the dual manifolds!

Looks great though! Nothing like freshly painted parts! </div></div>

Not a 320, and not much of a video, but this is a dual carb car...nice and quiet.

th_P6160030.jpg

Guest ZondaC12

Yeah I was more looking to hear the exhaust. I actually talked to a fellow member earlier this winter, of a local casual club that puts on the cruises and stuff (they had a winter dinner get-together) and he said he'd be more than willing to help me weld up some custom headers if I wanted, splitting it into 4 and 4 so I'd get the V8 sound and then later I can bolt the stock manifold back on when it needs to be factory correct!

So that might just happen, I'm just so friggin' impatient that if I can hear the effect the split manifolds have on the sound now, I want to! laugh.gif Thanks a bunch for tryin to help though!

Wild and Crazy teenagers. crazy.gif Splitting manifolds and cuttin things up just to make a lot of noise. shocked.gif

Actually, I think it fits you Zonda. LOLOL laugh.giflaugh.gif

How would the 15 look with 4 pipes sticking out of the hood??? Oh wait a minute,.....I have an original muffler and cutout to install this spring....oh well, good by to that unauthentic glass pack! grin.gif Dave!

PS, I'll donate that glass pack to your cause if ya need it Zonda. smile.gif

Guest ZondaC12

That's right they did have cut-outs goin' back that far. I take it you'll be at Rhinebeck again? I'd love to hear that thing wide-open! laugh.gif

And yeah I got a noise-makin' problem. I fully and absolutely acknowledge THAT. Am I gonna do anything about it? Umm.....when someone complains!!!! grin.gif But until I hear a peep outta anyone...onward!