Title question/help

Guest galenmd

Guest galenmd

I hope this is the right forum.

I have an opportunity to buy a classic post-war car. It was last registered out of state back in 1988 and garaged since. The original owner (inheritor) signed the title about 1 year ago to the new owner. However, the new owner never signed the title himself.

Question: Does the new owner need to sign it as the buyer before reselling it to me? Can I just sign it as the new owner and skip his signature entirely?

All assistance is appreciated.

I don't know what the laws are in your state, but where I'm at that is called "jumping title" and it is illegal. Only dealers can hold a signed title for resale here. Private individuals are required to take title in their own name, then they can sell and assign that title to the new owner.

Paul

The real issue is if the title was dated when the seller signed it. If you are in a sales tax state then they will not be happy about the 1 year late on getting the sales tax paid. If it was not dated then there is really no issue, although in a perfect world the seller would have the title in his name. Depending on how great a "deal" this is you may or may not care but you should be able to sign it and get a title in your name without too much trouble.

I would suggest contacting the DMV in both states before doing something you'll regret. NY ( for one) is a stickler on titles. One alteration and your in deep trouble. Is that worth it?

I believe most States understand that owners may not be around to correct title deficiencies and have policies to correct this situation. In my experience, I was able to do this via the internet with North Carolina when I was considering a car from there. In retrospect I also wish I had done this with Connecticut when I once bought a Corvair Spyder from there.

Good luck.

Be careful. NC recently got a new DMV commissioner over some shady Antique Vehicle title issues. NC DMV then reviewed every Antique Vehicle Title in the state and sent inspectors out to inspect many Antique Vehicles. Some vehicles that had titles based on Out of state internet "title companies" are now re-titled as replica vehicles or later model homemade vehicles.

What you are talking about is illegal in NC, but you might be able to get away with it depending on what the title looks like.

But, your real problem is not NC...

Your real problem is going to be with your state's DMV. You just have to have a title trail that your state DMV will be happy with.

Guest galenmd

From California's DMV website:

The following is a relevant list of items required to register a nonresident vehicle:

1. An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) signed by all registered owners, showing the name and address of the legal owner if any.

2. Last issued out-of-state title, unless held by the lienholder/legal owner (This applies only if there is not a change of registered owner.)

3. Last issued registration certificate, if the applicant is the same as the registered owner shown on the out-of-state title and the vehicle entered California with valid out-of-state registration, or if the title has been lost.

4. Bill of Sale if the person from whom you are buying the vehicle purchased it from the registered owner shown on the title.

So, my question becomes this: What if the current new owner just signs the title from the original owner, but does not actually apply for a new title? I would then generate a Bill of Sale showing that I purchased the vehicle from this same guy who just signed the original title. Would this be sufficient?

I will call the DMV today, though that's kind of like call the post office.

I went through this a few years back when I sold a car left to me after my brother died. You will be much better off having the GUY YOU BOUGHT IT FROM, get a title in HIS name first. If he inherited the car he shouldn't have much trouble. Get it cleared up in NC first. Once the car is moved from one state to the next, a WHOLE new set of laws come in to the mix. Been there, done that!!!

1. There seems to be a lot of hand-wringing going on here because the title was signed by the previous owner. I'm assuming that the car is NOT stolen. If it's not stolen, there are very few title issues that can't be straightened out - although sometimes it means somebody is going to have to pay some back sales tax.

2. If the title you have is not dated, I will restate that there will most likely be no issues with getting a new title in your name. However, if this concerns you enough then have the guy selling you the car get the title in his name first before he sells the car to you.

The state registry's care about only 2 things: Is the car stolen? And is the sales tax being paid?

Buyer beware. We recently purchased a car on E-Bay from a now and then participant on these forums. I ask for a copy of the PA title before bidding. He posted what appeared to be a clean PA title. Upon arriving to pick up said vehicle I was given a title that had been signed similarly to the one you describe but with the latest signature whited out. In PA that title is non transferrable. Luckily we bought the car for parts only but seldom have I seen so blatant an act of deception.