63 Trunk Mat and Trim - Help!

TexRiv_63

I need some help from the 63 experts. My car did not have a trunk mat when I got it, only the tire cover and some of the gray cardboard side trim. I called Clark's Corvair about replacements and they sent me samples of both the cardboard and the trunk mat material, which they said they only recently got back in stock. The cardboard color is a darker gray than my originals but would work. The trunk mat material is very close in pattern and feel to my original tire cover but it is a definite gray color where my tire cover is tan / brown in color, totally different. Were there different color mats and cardboard available in 63? If not what is the correct color? I really did not want to replace my tire cover as it is in nice shape. I'm going to call Clark's back but any help with this will be appreciated.

Guest Gee_Rydes

Don,

Do you want to stay completely original?

Here is a picture of my trunk using Clark's carpet, cardboard (painted saddle), and the half tire cover.

I don't believe this is completely original though. It will give you an idea of their finished product.

post-50598-143137968649_thumb.jpg

Don,

Dave's trunk looks really nice, but if you're wanting a truly original look, you're going to have a hard time finding the exact trunk lining material. I don't know what Clark's trunk lining looks like, but if you've got the original spare tire cover, you know exactly what the material should be like to replicate the OEM look. There hasn't been a truly matching material reproduced as far as I've seen. I've always thought it was kind of odd that the lining was tan and the sideboards were gray. There are other suppliers of the gray board, if you don't think that Clark's is close enough, you might want to call around and ask other vendors what they have in the way of samples for each. I also think that Calvin Clark would like to hear what you have to say about the match and you'd probably like to hear his explanations for what he has to offer.

Ed

Guest Gee_Rydes

I always use the SEM Color Coat line of paint. It is flexible and designed for vinyl and fabric. It is about $10 per can, but I don't think there is anything better.

I would recommend pre-bending the cardboard and then spraying.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the responses. Dave, your trunk looks great! My original thought was to keep everything original although I have already deviated from that elsewhere, so--??. The gray mat sample they sent me would actually look better with the gray cardboard than the original tan. I called Clark's, they are sending me a lighter gray cardboard sample but she thought there was only one mat material choice. I told her that the purists would have trouble with the color so she will talk to Calvin and get back to me, I'll let you know what I find out. After seeing Dave's install I might go with the carpet, I think it would actually be cheaper!

Thanks Tom. I actually got a sample from Jenkins earlier which was tan colored but his prices were VERY high. Clark's e-mailed me again last night. After my comments they said they unstitched a portion of the original sample they had to expose a hidden piece of fabric. They said that was a close match to their lighter, grayer repro fabric. The part of the original sample exposed to light, wear, and soil was visibly darker and had turned a more tan color which is what most of us have apparently seen (like my tire cover). If true this also explains the strange combination of tan material with gray cardboard, the lighter grayer color goes very well with the cardboard color. Now I'm even less sure what I will do, but thanks again to all for your help.