Removing Chrome from Nickel parts

scott12180

Hi all,

Is there any do-it-yourself way to remove chrome from plated parts that are supposed to be nickel plated?

A car that I am considering has all of its brightwork chromed but being a 1924 is supposed to be nickel. I understand that there is nickel under the chrome as part of the chrome plating process. Can I remove only the chrome and retain the nickel? If I took it to a plater it will undoubtedly cost big bucks.

--Scott

Certainly nickel plate is correct for a 1924 car and it looks terrific, cars of this vintage where the owner inadviseabily chromed brightwork look gaudy with chrome rather than the restrained look of nickel. Congratulations on considering returning it to the normal finish. There are several types of nickel plate and I don't know that bright nickel is the type of nickel plate that underlays your chrome. I top notch plater would be the person to consult on this question. If you're in the Northeast, try Frankford Plating in Philadelphia, one of the best in the country.

I have been successful removing chrome on many small parts but never have tried it on large areas. HCl (HydroCloric acid) will remove chrome without touching the nickel. Muriatic is a 5% solution of HCl. Sulfuric will remove the nickel from brass items without damaging the brass.

Frank

I have also heard that muriatic acid will remove chrome without damaging the nickel. Would suggest trying it on a relatively small part, that way if something goes wrong, you can have it fixed and it won’t cost you a fortune. I would be curious to see the results if you plan to go down this route.

A few years ago I recall seeing an article in a magazine called Old House Journal that gave step-by-step instructions for removing chrome from old brass plumbing fixtures. Muratic acid was the recommendation, but they indicated the stuff you buy in hardware stores is a dilute solution used mainly to etch concrete before sealing it. Industrial supply or chemical supply companies could probably get you the stronger stuff. It's acid so be careful and work outdoors. If you need to do big parts your best bet is going to be letting a good plater use reverse electrolysis to remove the chrome.

Terry