'29 Packard Roadster

jrbartlett

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, Really Great lookin' Roadster. I like everything about it, especially the color combination. Red, White and Blue, Very Patriotic! smile.gif It only needs a Texas Flag decal on the door. smile.gif

Is it a 640?

It is a 640, which means 140.5-inch wheelbase and 384.8-cubic-inch engine. The body is a regular Packard production roadster. Car has 43,000 miles on it. I just drove it on the Glidden Tour in Pennsylvania, where I was lucky enough to win the Reliability Trophy. Had a great time.

Winning the Reliability trophy was pure luck. It's based on who completes the week-long tour with the total time that is closest to the average time of all participants. There is no way to try to win it, as you don't know what everyone else is averaging. I guess in theory, if you broke down, that would throw you too far off the average to have a chance.

I trailered up from Texas. Too much wear and tear to drive 1,600 miles each way, plus cosmetic damage from rocks and bugs. Back in the 60s we had a 29 Super 8 that we drove across Texas a number of times, but considering today's cost of paint, chrome and machine work, plus the value of your own restoration time, it's asking a lot to put on those "empty" miles just getting to the tour sites, even before the stress of staying out of the way of speed-crazed drivers.

As for the Auburn, check "Me and My Car" today for a picture of it.

James, that is one fine looking Packard.

I am assuming that is a "stock" color combination? A fellow in town has the identical car (640 Roadster, although I think it may be a '28 not '29 if I am not mistaken.) in solid blue, very close or same color as yours. The cream sides really add to the appearance of the car!

One thing I know for sure - these things move - I could barely keep up in my little "A" returning from a show a couple weeks ago! Although truthfully I think I can stop a little faster...

No idea what range of color combinations were actually used on Packards. They had some standard colors -- I think this car may have been the standard brown and black -- but for $50 they would paint the car any colors you wanted (they advertised that option in their literature). I never would have thought to combine all these colors (I bought the car restored), but they appealed to me. The blue is Adriatic Blue.