The Sunshine Dual - Next AACA Meet(s)

Guest Art Griffin

Guest Art Griffin

Well, another interesting vehicle may be at Melbourne in addition to the GM Futurliner. Tim, the guy from NC who owns a Scarab said tonight that he plans to register it and bring it to the Sunshine Dual Meet. I told him to hurry since our deadline is this coming Friday. We'll see what happens.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman, Sunshine Dual

• 2 weeks later...
Guest normond

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Art Griffin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey folks,

When registrations close next Friday (Feb. 29), I'll post our vehicle registration numbers here on the Forum. They are continuing to arrive in each day's mail.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman</div></div>

Art, do you have any registration numbers for the Grand National show on Friday and the National on Saturday ?

Thanks,

Norm

Guest Art Griffin

Wow! I got so busy that I didn't post the registration numbers after all. Sorry, folks.

<span style="font-weight: bold">The Sunshine Dual Meet is now history!!</span>

Anyway, we had 337 vehicles registered for the Annual Grand National Meet and 495 vehicles registered for the National Winter Meet. And between those for both meets, there were almost 600 different vehicles there. Not only was this the first Annual Grand National Meet to be held in Florida, but we had the largest number of vehicles for a National Winter Meet. (Of course, some of the Eastern Division meets have more vehicles.)

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman, Sunshine Dual Meet

Guest normond

My wife and I attended and participated both days at the show. The hosts were outstanding. Everyone was helpful and the dinner banquets had excellent food and service. The trailer parking area was more than adequate and we could not believe the number of spectators both Friday and Saturday. Also, the Jr. AACA program they had was from what I heard a great success. I heard the kids judged 7 vehicles and were within 4 points of the regular judges score - and then found items the AACA judges didn't. That was great to have them involved. Thanks to all of the people who helped with the event.

Norm & Mary Ann Echelberry

Guest Art Griffin

During the Sunshine Dual Meet, our Florida Today newspaper did an article on the GM Futurliner. It was not only in the printed version of the paper, but it was as a video on their website. So go to (http://www.floridatoday.com) and then click on Video. Select the one showing the picture of the big red & silver Futurliner.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

We really enjoyed the Dual meet. The trailer parking was much better than you usually find. The showfield was well laid out. The region folks were very nice. We met some new friends there. I had the pleasure of serving on a judging team with our National President, which was nice. I really did not mind that I came home with a Senior Grand National Trophy as well. grin.gif

Matt gave my dad a ride to the show field in his Model A.

About 15 years ago my dad was "clipped" (to borrow a football term) by a highly-modified and out-of-control Corvair (500hp V8). He was standing in front of it when someone reached through the driver's window and turned the key to start it. It was in gear and, of course, started right away. The car, with its hood open, cut my dad off below the knees, broke his legs and dumped him in the trunk as it headed for a major highway in crowded Atlanta (no driver). Fortunately, the car rammed into a bank sign before entering Peachtree Industrial Blvd.

All this to say, "Thanks, Matt." Dad doesn't walk as fast as he used to. But, nearing 80 years old now, a ride was helpful either way. I told him about the limo rides from the host hotel, but a ride in a REAL car was much more fun. Especially a GRAND NATIONAL WINNER!!!

Guest Art Griffin

Hey Folks,

As you probably noticed at the AACA Home Page, results of judging at the Annual Grand National Meet this past weekend are now posted online and can be downloaded.

The results of the National Winter Meet will also be posted very soon.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

Sunshine Dual Meet

West, I was not expecting a hitchhiker, but I'm glad I had one. I really enjoyed talking to your dad. It was great to meet both you and your dad. It was really funny how it worked out that I was planning to look for you when I got to the showfield and your dad found me and then called you by cellphone and had you come and meet us. It was my pleasure and tell your dad he is welcome to ride with me anytime!

Again, the Cape Canaveral Region did a great job with a very large show. The trailer parking and show field itself was exceptional. You can tell that this group had worked a long time preparing for this event. This was the third National show that I have attended that was put on by this group.

Nice to meet several of you from the forum (Steve M, Matt H and West P).

Thanks to West Peterson for his time to photograph my 1966 Mustang for a future issue of Antique Automobile.

And, as was stated in an above post, the Senior Grand National Award that I won really made my weekend too.

Just got home from Fla after some additional sight-seeing. What a great event! Art-you and the team sure do deserve a big thanks for being such wonderful hosts. Everywhere you turned there were smiling faces and friendly greetings. Even the weather was fabulous.

Terry