The Sunshine Dual - Next AACA Meet(s)

Guest Art Griffin

Guest Art Griffin

After a great time at Hershey, I want to remind everyone that the next AACA Meet is actually 2 meets! We are having both the 2008 Annual Grand National (AGN) and the National Winter Meet in Melbourne, Florida in the middle of March. After a Membership Roundtable and a Judging School on Thursday March 13th, the first Annual Grand National ever held in Florida will occur on Friday, March 14th. Then, the National Winter Meet will be held the next day, Saturday, March 15th. We will have a Flea Market, so vendors are invited to attend as well. And judges will have the opportunity to earn 4 judging credits (if they qualify to judge at an AGN).

Our host hotel, the Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place, is already <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">FULL</span></span>, but there are other hotels nearby that have blocked rooms at special AACA rates. You can download one of our flyers at our club website (http://clubs.hemmings.com/aaccc) by clicking on Activities and then going to the bottom of that page to click on "Click here for Details". And you can always contact me at (321) 480-6089 or <span style="text-decoration: underline">artgriffin@yahoo.com</span>.

SEE YOU THERE!

Art, fortunately the timing of the two meets works out perfectly with our annual March trip to Florida. I will be spectating both days. The Friday before we leave is opening night for the Detroit Autorama so its going to be a great 2 weeks for cars.

Rod

Art, I noticed that if I went online to the Hilton reservation site, they still have rooms available as long as I am willing to pay $249 per night. Wonder how they have rooms available if they are full. I guess it just means that they have run out of some predetermined number of rooms blocked out to sell at the special rate. Any chance that you can check and see if they might be able to sell some more rooms at the AACA rate?

Guest Art Griffin

The Hilton has a few Executive Rooms on the Concierge floor, rooms that are normally contracted to executives of airlines, companies, etc. I can check with them again, but I did talk to them yesterday.

Art

I would be interested, but not at $249 per night. Luckily I do have friends in Melbourne who have offered free lodging, but I was sort of trying not to impose on them.

Thanks for your efforts.

Guest Art Griffin

The other hotels that have blocked rooms for us range in price from $64.99 to $99.00, so you can get a room without spending too much money. I know most folks prefer the host hotel, but not everybody will be able to stay there. We expect quite a few people for the dual meet, so we've had to contract with those other hotels, and there are still more that we haven't contracted with.

Art

PS. Did you get one of our flyers that lists the other contracted hotels?

Art, I was reading the event flyer and I notice the flyer mentioned "NO trailer parking at area hotels".

The flyer does not mention where trailer parking will be for the Dual Meet.

Can you shed some light on the trailer parking situation? Thanks...

Art, Yes, I got one of the flyers from you in Hershey.

I guess I will have to decide in the next day or so if I want to impose on my friends or if I want to stay at one of the other hotels.

Altho I doubt I'll have a car done in time for this show, I do plan on attending and taking in the judging school.

Spectating both days of course too.

I went to one of the first meets held at the Hilton back in 1989. I really liked the set-up there.

I think there's 8 or 9 cars from my region going to this show. (Orange Blossom Region in Polk Co. FL)

Guest Art Griffin

Charlie,

Truck/Trailer parking is across the street from the host hotel in an old trailer park grounds. RV parking is about 2 blocks north, adjacent to the Show Field. We plan to have a shuttle running back and forth. I don't mind walking 2 blocks, but with an intersection in the middle, a shuttle is the way to go.

Art

Check through some of the services that offer cut rate prices on rooms, etc. From what I understand, and I won't name names, some of the officers and others use those services and they get even cheaper rates than the AACA rate.

Susan, I want to clarify your remarks as they may give some people erroneous impressions. AACA officers, staff or ANYONE else may be a member of certain reward clubs with hotel chains or other incentive based companies and they may in fact get a better rate. AAA, AARP are just two among many but frequently do not match the group rate.. Many AACA officers travel far most than some of us and this is a perk they get for their frequent business. However, in most cases the group rate is indeed the least expensive rate but still may not be used by people due to their bonus programs.

Guest Art Griffin

Well, I was at Binghamton. My wife and I attended the Friday evening function at the speakeasy, and we attended the Saturday evening Awards Banquet. During the day Saturday I was a judge at the Show.

We met lots of fine people at Binghamton, and it was a well-run meet. We enjoyed ourselves and then went over to Kalamazoo to do the same type of things there at the Annual Grand National.

And I was at Hershey as well.

Art

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

If anybody is interested, I can e-mail a copy of the meet brochure. It is legal size and is two pages. I can send it in either PDF (.pdf) format or Microsoft Word (.doc) format.

I also have a copy of Google Earth picture showing the area of the show. If you want one, I can e-mail that as well.

Art Griffin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Yes, there will be an awards dinner each evening so that the two meets will have their own presentations.

Again, I would be happy to e-mail you a copy of our meet brochure, in either PDF or Microsoft Word format.

Art

Guest Art Griffin

Folks,

I want to let everybody know that it will still be a little while before online registration will be available. Registration software is being updated, and it will be tested at AACA Headquarters. So, the new version isn't ready to be put into use. When it's ready, you should see the notice at the AACA home page.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

Guest Art Griffin

Just to keep you updated, the Suburban Lodge has reserved all of their standard non-smoking rooms, but they still have a few standard smoking rooms available. And there are 2 suites available at a slightly higher price. There are still plenty of rooms at our other AACA contracted hotels (Courtyard by Marriott, Tides Hotel Melbourne Waterfront, and Howard Johnsons). And there are other area hotels that you may choose as well.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

For those of you who have been trying to get room reservations at the Tides Hotel Waterfront, their telephone has been constantly busy. So, at the moment there is no way to make any reservations. I have sent the manaagement an e-mail message to find out what is wrong, and right now Arlene and I plan to drive by there tomorrow to see if we can get to the bottom of the problem.

I'll let you know what we find out.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

Guest Art Griffin

OK, I just talked to the General Manager at the Tides Hotel Waterfront in Melbourne, and they are having trouble with their telephone system. The telephone company is trouble-shooting it right now.

Some of you are not aware, but the Tides is a completely rebuilt hotel at the corner of US-1 and NASA Boulevard. It was severely damaged in our two big 2004 hurricanes, and it was closed for more than 2 years. A hotel company in Miami purchased the hotel, gave it a new name, rebuilt it like new, and plans to open to the public next week. Knowing that we needed lots of rooms for the Sunshine Dual in March, we contracted with the hotel for a block of 129 rooms, and they have been taking reservations. (Their AACA rate is $99 plus tax per night.)

If you still get a busy signal before the telephone system is fixed, you can make a reservation by calling the manager's cell phone, (321) 537-4470. His name is Shawn Townsend.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

Guest Art Griffin

Regarding the Tides Hotel Waterfront in Melbourne, I got a call from the manager yesterday saying that the telephone system had been restored and they are now open for business. So, you should be able to reserve rooms for the Sunshine Dual without any problem. However, if you do experience a problem, please let me know immediately.

This hotel has been rebuilt like new after being closed from the 2004 hurricane damage. My wife and I viewed the common areas plus several of the rooms, and everything was excellent.

Regards,

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

(artgriffin@yahoo.com)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hello Everyone,

Another hotel here in Melbourne is now full. The Courtyard by Marriott reports that the AACA block of rooms is now full, although there are a few rooms left for Saturday night, March 15th. So, that means the Hilton Melbourne Rialto Place (Host Hotel), the Suburban Lodge, and the Courtyard by Marriott are all full. That leaves the Tides Waterfront and Howard Johnsons as the only hotels with AACA blocks of rooms left.

I guess I will check with the Fairfield Inn, which is opening later this month, and maybe other area hotels to find additional rooms. There are a number of excellent hotels over on the beach strip, but ocean front hotels tend to be pretty pricey unless somebody has a special offer. I will post a message when I have more information to report.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman, Sunshine Dual Meet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The manual which is only a guide sates "generally in July or August"...in this case the general decided in March!</div></div>Hey Steve, all kidding aside I like it. Once we get back to New York, we'll have a couple more weeks of bad weather and then it'll be time to bring the cars out for the year. In the meantime, we'll have a couple of weeks during the winter to get the car out and have fun during a time where it normally doesn't move.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hey folks,

I just got a telephone call this afternoon, and the GM Futurliner is going to be registered for the Sunshine Dual Meet! Since it is already a Senior Award winner, it will be entered in both the Annual Grand National and the National Winter Meet.

I just thought everybody should know about it.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

Guest Art Griffin

Hello folks,

Although we still have rooms available at the Tides Hotel Waterfront and Howard Johnsons, a brand new hotel just had their grand opening today a short distance from our host hotel. It is the <span style="font-weight: bold">Residence Inn by Marriott</span>. They have Studio Suites at $119, 1 Bedroom Suites at $129, and 2 bedroom suites at $199. I visited the hotel today, and along with their opening day festivities, they showed me the various suites. They are really beautiful! You can make reservations by calling (321)723-5740. Be sure to visit their website at (http://www.melbourneresidenceinn.com).

Art Griffin

Guest Art Griffin

Well, I'm back again with additonal information......

Inasmuch as the Hilton, the Suburban Lodge, and the Courtyard by Marriott are all full, I mentioned yesterday that the Tides still has rooms (just about a mile from the Show Field), and so does Howard Johnsons (a bit over 5 miles from the Show Field). And I let you know that a brand new hotel, the Residence Inn by Marriott has beautiful suites available at a reasonable price for Florida in the peak Winter season. (See my post from yesterday.)

Well, today I checked with 2 hotels near I-95 across the street from Howard Johnsons. They are the <span style="font-weight: bold">Days Inn </span>and the <span style="font-weight: bold">Holiday Inn Express</span>. If you mention the "Sunshine Dual Meet" or antique auto show, you can get rooms at Days Inn for $69 per night and at Holiday Inn Express at $109 per night. Their telephone numbers are as follows: Days Inn (321) 724-2051; Holiday Inn Express (321) 724-2050. (The numbers are similar, but they are actually owned by the same company.) There is also a Hampton Inn nearby, and a new Fairfield is being built and should be finished in about 2-3 weeks. As I mentioned above, this group of hotels are a bit over 5 miles from the Show Field.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hello all you AACA music buffs,

I have an offer for a Blue Grass band to play for us on Thursday evening (March 13th), from 7:30 PM to 9 PM. And I have a club member who has offered to pay their fee. So, what do you think? After the Judging School from 2:15 PM to 4:15 PM, we have free time until the next morning. That means there's a blank spot to put this concert in.

Anyway, I think it would make a nice way to spend the evening. There would be NO charge for us to enjoy this concert.

I'm seriously considering adding this Blue Grass concert.

Art Griffin

Yes Art, go for it. I'll be there.

Besides, now that I too am chairing a national meet in 2010, I'll need you to teach me what the do's and don'ts are about chairing a meet.

Any chance that this generous region member can come to New York and pay for a band at our event??

If someone in my region was willing to do that on their own, I'd make sure that their national and regional dues were provided for them for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Art Griffin

Hey folks,

Hotels are continuing to fill up. Anyway, the Tides Hotel Waterfront is now FULL. That means that the Hilton Hotel (host), Suburban Lodge, Courtyard by Marriott, and now the Tides are all full.

Also, we have received more reservations for both of the Awards Dinners than the hotel can feed. So, we will have to notify those folks whose registrations arrived after the ballrooms were full and then refund their money. I don't know of anything we can do. Full is full!

When registrations close next Friday (Feb. 29), I'll post our vehicle registration numbers here on the Forum. They are continuing to arrive in each day's mail.

Art Griffin

Meet Chairman