Trailer tires

Guest imported_MrEarl

Guest imported_MrEarl

I have always ran LT (light truck) radials on my trailers with no problems until this last summer when I had two to seperate within about 100 miles of each other. The temp was hot, around 98 degrees and the tires were 4 years old, so I can understand them seperating. Both times I had to limp in and buy temp tires to last me til I got home. I guess now I am looking for a set of new ST (Special trailer) tires. I have done a search and read a very good summary of tires by Mark Shaw and have read some disturbing reports on Carlisle and Goodyear tires. Sounds like I had better results with the LT tires than what was posted. Seems even the Goodyears Marathons are now made in China.

So would like to hear thoughts on are trailer tires really any better (except for helping to control sway) than truck tires and secondly what brand name and width size should I look for.

I typically haul about 4500 lbs and I would guess the trailer weighs maybe another 1000.

Guest imported_Thriller

The only thing I would caution is that you have to keep an eye on some shops as trailer tires are available in both bias ply and radials.

A few years back I had a flat in eastern Washington on the way to the Oregon coast with the tent trailer. A long story, but the other tire went on the way home. When I got home and checked it out, one of the replacements was a radial and the other a bias ply. Until then, I didn't know they were available. I had to replace the spare as well, so now I have two of one type on the trailer and the other is now the spare.

Just something else to keep in mind. I'd think you can't go wrong with truck tires, although I don't normally have to deal with the heat you do.

Lamar

You're right about the Carlyle tires being junk. Don't buy any, but look at them closely and memorize or take a picture of the tread pattern, because they make a lot of different brands with the same tread. For your open trailer I recommend bias ply since they age better than radials. Use 700-15 8ply or 750-16 8ply depending on your rim size. The rubber in radials will not stick to the steel belts more than 4-5 years before separating whether you use them or not. You will have to have your tire shop order or check a farm co-op store.

In times past we used to wear out a set of bias ply on our car or truck and then use them for another 10 years on the trailer...not anymore.

Look at the tires on a U-haul trailer...bias ply.

Willie

I use strictly "trailer tires, bias ply", and have had absolutely no trouble. And I agree with the problems with Steel belted radials, especially with no fenders where they can sit in the sun. They won't last long before they will blow out just sitting there. I've had that happen at the shop, and on the farm. I'm also assuming that you have car type wheels on your trailer, and not the 'trailer house' type that I have on the trailer that I used to bring the '54 to your place. On that trailer, I use 12 ply, and carry about 100 lbs. pressure. Paul

If you have clearance, you can go up a size or two and this will increase the load rating....tread seperation, it could be attributed to the tires overheating and speeding the seperation process. A higher load rated tire would flex less, build less heat, and keep its tread longer.

Guest imported_MrEarl

I just happened to think that the two tires that seperated were the two that were exposed more to the elements ie sun and rain than the other two. I park the trailer next to a shed with an overhang that protected the two that didn't seperate. So what's been said about ageing etc may played a role.

What about Duro Trailer tires. I've always heard they are to trailer tires as Michelins are to car tires. Anybody ever had bad experience with them.I googled Carlisle and Goodyear Marathons and there's a bunch of horror stories about them.

Barney, I don't think I would have clearence, plus I kinda like my hub caps. smile.gif

post-32987-143137950804_thumb.jpg

Guest imported_MrEarl

Like I told my Marine Corp gunny when he asked me if I ever thought about reuppin. Sir with all due respect, I have thought about it, laugned about and forgot about it.

Now down to serious business. Does anyone have experience with Duro trailer tires. I may have found a deal on a set of Duro 225 bias (load rated D, 2500lb). My thinkin is how could they be much worse than Carlisle or GY?

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42buickcrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lamar, maybe you should consider collecting "SMALLER" cars, then that would solve all your problems, i.e., hauling, storage etc. How about that for a solution, Paul </div></div>

Yea, real small........ grin.gif

IM000203.jpg

I was on Texas 79 Saturday and passed a truck pulling a trailer with a 1955 Special 4dr. It looked complete with a straight body but it had badly faded paint with some surface rust and appeard to have every window broken.

It was headed east...anyone here pick up a 1955 this weekend?

Guest sintid58

It seems a lot of people don't like radials. My experience is when I had a boat trailer with a pretty heavy fiberglass boat and the trailer had bias ply tires on it. At the time my only vehicle that I had to pull it with was a Plymouth Mini Van that was quite underpowered for the job. I had a tire go bad and put a set of Radial tires on it and it made a world of diffence on how easy the trailer pulled and as far as handling it was much better also. I would say that if you prefer bias ply tires on a trailer you have never pulled the same trailer with both kinds of tires on it with the same load on it. Another fact to consider is that not one large trucking company in the US uses anything besides radial tires on there trailers. The exception to this is the container chassis industry where they do not have their own tractors pulling the trailers and if they put on good tires they usually disapear and when they come back they are replaced with junk. The same is true with UHAUL trailers it really has nothing to do with how good the tire is but more with how many people out there would take the time to steal a bias ply tire off one of there trailers.

Guest Skyking

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Shaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SkyKing,

Yeah, really really small....

</div></div>

Hey Mark, I can carry that as a spare! grin.gifgrin.gif

I just couldn't resist bringing the Buick pedal car. One of our club members has a Model T go-cart that he uses to buzz the parking lot at car events. So I just couldn't pass up the chance to show him that we have a litle red "Buick" too.

You should have seen all the laughs we got with people pointing at the car on the freeway!

I have over 45,000 tow miles (enclosed trailer) and have tried various brands of trailer tires throughout the years. Trailer and car weight are approximately 10,000 pounds. To date I haven't had any issues with blowouts (the curse begins) however my Goodyear's radials are probably the last made in the USA.

A few years back I did run a set of bias (can't pronounce name) with excellent results with no difference in handling and they were much cheaper, however they are no longer in business.

I spoke to a trailer tire dealer and the issues with Goodyear and Carlisle tires isn't getting any better. He said he has been selling the LOADSTAR's 'KARRIER' tires (Japen) for many years with almost zero issues. Anyone have any experiences with these?

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?...;categoryID=163