How bad was it? Engine compartments "before".

Shop Rat

Barry Wolk had a great idea with his engine compartment "pristine" photo thread.

I, along with others I am sure, would like to see what the engine compartment looked like BEFORE you started.

And if you are just starting a restoration, show us a photo of what the engine compartment looks like now. You can show us the "after" photo later. grin.gif

Here is my 1939 LaSalle engine "before" being sent to Shepard's Automotive in Akron, Ohio for a full rebuilding. It is due to be finished in about a week. Porcelain manifolds have been done by Prairie in MN and Shepard's repaints engine to original colors and specs.

007_Engine_Before.JPG

Below is a picture of my engine compartment now, waiting for the engine rebuild.

tn_136_Firewall_looking_good.JPG

See complete details at www.fzoldcars.com and click on '39 LaSalle Restoration (Before, Part1 and Part2). Over 200 pictures of the restoration to date. Fred

Guest 53Bob76R

I hope the picture attachment comes thru ok. My Roadmaster had been in a garage since 1978. At some point, someone had used electrical tape to try and repair the upper hose!!

post-52745-143137946611_thumb.jpg

I first saw it at a local car show in the summer of 2000 and not being a Studebaker kook I did some research and bought it later that fall. My log shows I started the tear down in Nov 2002, a couple years later. I put about 700 hours into it before taking the body to the paint shop in Oct 2005 and did about 200 hours more work on trim, wiring, trim buffing, door guides, trim buffing, dash etc. while it was in the shop. In June 2006 the paint shop was flooded and the primer coats had to be stripped and redone. It left the paint shop in March 2007 and I retired from my day job a week later. After a total of 1200 hrs of my time, I first drove it on the road in May and got my First Jr in June. In August I made a triumphant return to the show where seven years earlier where I first saw it and took the best of show.

Bill

Here is a shot from the other side. This car (and engine) only had 5,748 miles on since being manufactured.

Susan, we don't use Amphi and sinks in the same sentence. grin.gif

Last week I towed a fishing boat and his dingy in to shore that was stranded in a huge lake here in PA. He left his trolling lines in while we towed back so he wouldn't miss any fish.

post-30758-143137947033_thumb.jpg