1990 Maserati TC Soft top HELP

Guest ScottDWAH

Guest ScottDWAH

The electric pull-down for my Maserati TC convertible top is frustrating me. With no warning the rear pins now do not latch when the back of the top is pushed down. Playing with it for a while and using the manual release in the trunk will get it to catch every now and then. Although the electric motor does work it won't pull down as needed and i have to lock it down manually. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I've check the factory manual which is no help at all. I'm not sure how to adjust it if that's even possible and am afraid that if i keep playing with it i'll burn out the motor.

Any help from someone that might be familiar with this challenge would be appreciated.

Scott Harris

I had a similar problem. What was happening was when the top switch was pressed, it operated the release but did not reset the mechanism. There should be a 'clunk' after the top lifts and the pins release. It is the same sound as when you manually release. My solution was to squirt some WD40 onto the the mechanism through the hole in the trunk. Seems to have done the trick. I would first manually reset the mechanism as per the book, lubricate and try again.

• 5 years later...

I doubt you have an electrical problem, just a mechanical one. The entire mechanism can be adjusted up or down by the main bar that holds it all in. If the mechanism has moved downward then adjusting it up may let the pins catch again. There is a procedure in the owners manual for resetting the release with the button, I don't have a manual anymore but someone else will have one. The highest probability is that the motor casing (clear plastic part that holds the gears) is cracking or that the gears are disintegrating.

• 3 weeks later...
Colin,

I'll give it a try.

THANKS,

Scott

I had the same problem and the WD-40 trick worked for me. Also, make sure that the pins fully lock, or the motor will still draw current and kill your battery.

In fact, my rag top still is hard to pull down and gives me the current problem, but the hard top doesn't.

John

Guest My TC Toy

C, when you say that your pull down does not work, what exactly do you mean. Is it not latching properly or is the motor not running? It is difficult to comment if we do not know the exact problem you are referring to. Let us know and we may be of some help.

Bob

• 3 years later...
Guest markbrich2

the issue I'm having with mine is the soft top will not lock into place. It appears to lock but then at the slightest jar, sometimes even when locking the windshield latches it will pop open in the rear? Any ideas?

• 3 years later...

Thanks for any advise. 

I have done many test and manual operation. By operating the top at least 50 times. It has drawn once by pushing the top button. 

I started by opening the top switch. (No power)

Then removing the rear assembly. (Tested for continuity, through out all wiring; and motor operation, gears good)

Reinstalled. 

Heavy lubrication on all moving parts. 

Cleaned all green off any contacts. 

Got power once. Arc the top switch, it operated, once.

Opened up the metal box with switch/ points/ transistors and ic chip. I soft cleaned it. Appeared to maybe have had water in it. Car has 35,000 miles. 

Purchased a relay, it is a GM part. 100266 something. 

After driving a bit crazy after the $50 part. Wondered why is there no power at the top switch. I opened the tonneau switch. Wire broken clean off. Solder it; yea now I got it. Nope. 

Visors down, park level, set parking brake, released handles from header. Put windows down, turned engine off. Nothing, HELP PLEASE. 

OK, it sounds like you've done a bit of work, but:

Do you have power at the appropriate fuse?

Do you have power at the switch?

If no, or intermittent, then you need to start tracing the wire and find the spot where there's bad connection/broken.

Do you have good ground?

If no, make sure that wiring/physical connection to the chassis is good.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...

in my experience with this situation if you go to push the top metal pins into the holes, they just pop back up and not hold in place for the motor to pull it down, there needs to be an adjustment to the whole mechanism/bracket in the boot well. the bracket needs to be moved slightly "up". you can do this by moving the top out of your way as much as possible to get yourself in place in the top well and loosen the 5 nuts holding the whole bracket in place.  2 on the left, 2 on the right and one in the middle. dont forget the one in the middle of the bracket. you will see that the bracket was more than likely in the middle of the adjustment position.  push the whole bracket up about 1/2" more than its original position. quickly tighten two nuts on one side before it slides back down. go to the other side and push the bracket up again about 1/2" or so then tighten those nuts. the bracket should not be able to adjust any higher than this. now tighten the middle nut. put the tonneau cover back in place and now try the convertible top again by placing the metal pics back into the holes. with the bracket being 1/2" higher or so the pins should now grab the mechanism claws and "click into place". if they hold in place, go into the car and try lowering the top with the top switch. this should solve your problem. hope this helps.