rocketraider

Moderators
  • Last visited

• Days Won

rocketraider last won the day on September 18

rocketraider had the most liked content!

4 Followers

About rocketraider

• Birthday 10/23/1956

Recent Profile Visitors

24,383 profile views

rocketraider's Achievements

25,000+ Points

25,000+ Points (7/7)

• Reacting Well
  • Dedicated
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Very Popular Rare

Recent Badges

1. An automatic transmission "starting in second gear" wasn't weird in 1966... Wonder what the seller would say about a Dynaflow?😀 I like this Rambler.
  2. Wonder how hard a 66 big Chevy decklid and center bumper section would be to find? What stuns me are the Lancer caps and whitewalls. Around here it would have Corvette rally wheels and some off brand white letter tires. Anyone notice the cables around the upper control arm shafts? Chevrolet's factory fix issued for the motor mount failures they were having in 60s. My mama's 69 Impala was recalled to have those installed.
  3. And every once in a while the Svengoolie movie has some old cars. Nightmare Theatre too. Yah, I'm a cheesy horror movie nerd!🤓
  4. I fell for these when Wheeler Dealers did one. But I can imagine trying to get one serviced in this part of the world. They look at you like you just arrived from Mars when you bring them a 60s Oldsmobile.
  5. I like this little Italian car. Maybe someone speaks/reads enough Italian to help Cheri understand and enjoy the dolce vita in her car. Terry Bond?
  6. One of my buddies had a yellow one. It was borderline indestructible. He put well over 100 miles a day on it and it never required much in way of unscheduled repairs. Well, there was that time he got drunk and threw up all over the interior... I went to see him and the seats and carpet were in the yard where he was washing them with the garden hose. To his credit his then-girlfriend was driving when it happened, and he puked all over her too.
  7. Yesterday was Capote's birthday and TCM aired both movies back to back last night. I had misplaced just how powerful an actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was. Not many could have pulled off a portrayal of Capote as he did. There were several prominently placed 50s cars in "Capote" too, so both movies are well worth an old car guy's time, both for cars and story.
  8. TCM showing "In Cold Blood" tonight. I'd read that Truman Capote and director Richard Brooks went above and beyond for accuracy in this movie, going so far as to film it in Holcomb KS area and casting some of the original trial jurors. They did an exceptional job with the movie cars too. I think I saw one 1963 Cutlass in a highway scene but otherwise everything was 1959 or earlier- correct for the 1959 setting of the movie. I guess decent condition 8 year old cars were still easy to find in 1966-67 when the movie was made. Several 1959 Chevrolet and Ford police cars, and a late 50s Rambler police car of all things. Some early 50s Pontiacs too. Good old car spotting movie in spite of the subject matter.
  9. Do you know if your car has ever been repainted? Not uncommon for a repaint to be off-shade. If it's original paint, find somewhere that hasn't been exposed. Door/trunk jamb, something like that. See if your new paint matches that area.
  10. GPC is leaving for Georgia Tuesday. May be a couple days before they can even get a truck into Western NC. I'm normally pretty stoic, but I cried when I saw the pictures and video of WNC and SW Virginia. Not to minimize the damage Helene left in Florida, but Floridians know how to deal with hurricane damage and how to clean up. The people in Western NC have never had to deal with anything like this.
  11. Impala, especially a 4d hardtop, needs whitewalls! And especially combined with that color! Engine pics would be nice, but front seat does reinforce this might be a low-mileage survivor. Low-priced or not, Impala could hold its own with GM's other 60s B-body cars. They were just nice cars.
  12. Just an FYI- KTL Restorations and the McCandless Collection are both very involved in the old car hobby. God's Pit Crew works tirelessly to help people who have lost everything, and travel all over the country with supplies and rebuilding teams. I'm going into town tomorrow to drop off some things there. The devastation in Western NC is near unbelievable. A neighbor's kid is stranded at UNC-Asheville as most roads are impassable. There are nearly 1000 people unaccounted for in WNC. NWS issued 17 tornado warnings here Friday in Helene's wake. I was in the direct path of four of them. Only two tornados actually touched down Friday which is, in a sense, something to be grateful for. There have been 14 more issued today including four simultaneous ones within a 20 mile radius of Martinsville VA. Yet as seen above those folks are asking for help for others. I know some Forum members were in the path of this storm and probably suffered damage. We're with you. Let us know you're safe. Please.
  13. General forum is as good as any for general questions and information, but try here: https://forums.aaca.org/forum/37-ford-edsel-mercury-1954-and-newer/ and here: https://forums.aaca.org/forum/184-ford-automobiles-and-parts-buysell/ Handsome Mercury. 72?