53 Differential Fill Plug

Joseph P. Indusi

I removed the differential fill plug from my 53 Special to replace it with a better one (obtained from MrEarl) as the outside square points were butchered by previous owners even thought the car has only 66xxx miles on it as verified from the title document.  The replacement plug came from a 1954 Buick and is solid steel.   The original plug is hollow inside and has a hole through the threaded side near the head.   Anybody know why the hole in the threaded side?   I will try to attach a few photos.

Joe

Diff fill plug1.JPG

Diff fill plug2.JPG

Diff fill plug3.JPG

Edited by Joseph P. Indusi
mispelled word (see edit history)

Stupid question, but if you removed this plug when the differential was hot, couldn't there be some built-up air pressure in it and maybe the hole is relieve that pressure before you take the plug all the way out?  I know there is a small hole in my master cylinder cap which is, I assume, for the same reason.  Or am I smok'n something?

Edited by packick (see edit history)

There should be a vent already on the top of the axle housing...  IIRC, left side, half way towards the wheel.  I would not install one on the cover, as there is a lot of oil being slung against it by the ring gear while driving.

I imagine that hole on the fill plug is a vent for draining.

All 1953 and early-1954 Buicks were not equipped with the bobble-head breather vent on top of the rear left axle's housing for relief of thermal expansion pressure which made the vent hole in the fill plug useless when checking fluid level. The solid steel fill plug most likely came from a later-1954 (after ± June 1, 1954) OEM Buick rear axle housing. OEM fill plugs had fiber washers . . . not felt washers.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I positioned the bolt with a hole through the center near the top of the differential rear cover near the top and well to the side of the ring gear.   I never found any gear lube leaking out of the bolt head.   So I think it is simple and functional.  I think the hole through the the threads of my old fill plug was to vent the rear while draining the lube. 

Joe