1967 Riviera tires

jimriviera

I have the AMA (Automobile Manufacturers Association) Specifications documents published and revised 12-15-1966.  This lists optional tire sizes for 1967 models as 8.85-15 and 225R-15. The guys on the AACA forum say I need documentation published by Buick for AACA judging approval.  Is there anything in your archives that would support the availability of Radial tires for 1967 Rivieras?  Perhaps a sales brochure, or dealer service bulletin?  I need to replace my tires and would like to use radials, but would also like to show the car at AACA meets without losing a lot of points on tires.  BTW-- the AACA judging manual mentions that some manufacturers, namely Buick and Oldsmobile, offered radials in 1967.  The BCA judging manual lists radials for 1967.   Hemmings magazine "The Smooth Operator" August 2014 explains that after January 1967,   225-R15 tires were available. With all these indications that radials were indeed available in 1967, does anyone have any Buick literature listing that radials were available?

My date code is--- 11C -- 3rd week of November.  I don't know why they won't accept the several documents I have.  I have requested any information available from the AACA Library and Research center. They might come up with something.  I recently bought a sales brochure for 1967 Buicks which only lists bias tire sizes.  The brochure was certainly published pre-production.  Thanks for your replies.

Hi Jim,

I will post the relative info after I have scanned it. The documentation seems to be just what you need but it lists the availability of the radial tires at the very end of January `67. It is very, very likely your car was assembled at Buick within a week of your body date so about the beginning of December `66. Will the AACA accept radials on your car if its assembly predated the availability of radial tires? Or will they recognize the availability of radials for the entire model year? I dont know anything about AACA judging, just curious,

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Hi Jim,

Attached you will find not one, but two (!) Buick zone letters announcing the availability of radial tires. These zone letters are rather rare and come to you courtesy of the Riviera Owners Association library. If you are not already a member please consider joining the club. In addition to our library and personal service as per this post, you will receive an award winning, bi-monthly publication, The Riview.

Hope this is helpful, good luck with judging!

Tom Mooney 

ROA Tech Advisor and Librarian

img335.jpg

img336.jpg

• Like 5

Tom,   I have been a member of ROA (#11113) for about 15 years, and AACA for 25 years.   I really appreciate your efforts.  That is exactly what I need to prove the tires were available.  I am sure some other 67 Riviera owners, and 67 Buick owners will also be glad to have this information.  My car is ready for showing at AACA meets except for new tires, so I will proceed with the purchase of new radials. Thanks to all forum members for the replies.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jimriviera said:

Tom,   I have been a member of ROA (#11113) for about 15 years, and AACA for 25 years.   I really appreciate your efforts.  That is exactly what I need to prove the tires were available.  I am sure some other 67 Riviera owners, and 67 Buick owners will also be glad to have this information.  My car is ready for showing at AACA meets except for new tires, so I will proceed with the purchase of new radials. Thanks to all forum members for the replies.

Does the AACA get particular as to whether the tires on your car are from a manufacturer that was in business at the time or whether they are domestic or foreign?  I'm aware that in some judging circles that if a GM car is not equipped with a Delco battery that points will be deducted.  Could it be the same with tires?  Would hate to see you go to all this trouble then get docked for having Continental  (Germany) or Hankook (Korea) tires bring you down.

• Like 1

Tom,   I have been a member of ROA (#11113) for about 15 years, and AACA for 25 years.   I really appreciate your efforts.  That is exactly what I need to prove the tires were available.  I am sure some other 67 Riviera owners, and 67 Buick owners will also be glad to have this information.  My car is ready for showing at AACA meets except for new tires, so I will proceed with the purchase of new radials. Thanks to all forum members for the replies. Maybe an AACA judge can answer Ed Raner's question. I don't think they are that particular----will check it out.

20 hours ago, RivNut said:

From what I read in the option list shown in post #2, the red line radial tires are only available with the A9 (Gran Sport) option. Does anyone else read it that way?

Yes the H70 wide oval redline (BIAS) was only available with A9.

I believe the redlines available in 67 were only in the bias H70 Wide Ovals version. Never saw reference or docs to indicate a redline radial was available.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Jim,

It appears to me that your build date is right at the cut where the availability of Radial Tires MAY OR MAY NOT have been available.

So in my mind it's a BIG question mark.  I don't think that really ANYONE would be able  to answer the question POSITIVELY.

Just my thoughts.

Tom T.

Tom,

Took that photo at the Lexington ROA meet of an original spare the original owner removed for display. He was also in Gettysburg and I spoke with him again. He was asking if I knew anyone who would be interested in buying the tire.  As much I I liked it, considering the unlikelihood I'd ever find 3 more, I was not interested. Wouldn't it be cool to see a 67 GS sporting original H70 redlines! This is the car its from at Gettysburg in 19

GS_67_Norm_Thoburn.thumb.jpg.d798aed84aa66f623e20e9c17e963c34.jpg

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 1