Vintage Automobile Reamer Sizes

sunnyorm

You are asking a very subjective question with no concise answer. you can buy many reamers and still need one you don't have that is why you see snap on trucks driving around to repair shops to supply that one they didn't have. There were hundreds of car makes that used many different bushings.

When you put it that way, I find it extremely unlikely you will find a listing such as you seek. Why would anyone make such a list, i.e. what would be in it for them?

Post 1935 or so, you might sift through lists of special tools the makers call up in their shop manuals. Prior to that, read Dyke's and see what you find. Often you find a list of tools required to open a workshop; maybe that type of literature will have something. I have seen them in Dyke's and other places. But my reading is that you would buy the special tools for the agencies you hold to work on those vehicles.

If there were such a chart I wouldn't trust it! Fitting bushings is not rocket science. All you need is the bushings pressed into place and the shaft that needs to fit. Best done with Sunnen honing equipment. The fit on piston pin bushings is something like .0003" to .0005" and is easy to hit. Model A king pin bushings are a good example, at one time you could buy a reamer specifically marked for that job. It's long and has a pilot section to slip through the far bushing for alignment. If you were to simply buy a plain reamer of correct size it would not pilot on the other bushing and the job would be no good even if you reamed bushings to correct size individually. Expansion Reamers can work ok in some cases but don't think you can just set them to size and go at it. They will bind, stick, catch, cut oversize, break blades, and plug up. It takes some practice and feel to achieve anything useful with them. Most experienced machinists will avoid them if at all possible. There are "adjustable" Reamers with a wedge screw in the end that allow a thousandth or two blade flex to customize fit and they do work better than the blade type. 

• Like 2