Rattling noise from crankshaft area

bikemikey

I took my 89 Reatta for a drive today, then I noticed a rattling noise from the engine area. I took a stethoscope and it appears that it is coming from the crankshaft area. There are no codes, the engine seems to run okay except for that noise. I'm hoping it's not a crankshaft bearing. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Well it's the wrong color for me to tell you to sell it to me for salvage, so I'll tell you what it needs... The harmonic balancer is probably bad. You could go to youtube and look for what it sounds like and then how to swap it out. You may want to do the crank sensor at the same time.

• Like 1

After watching a Youtube video, I'm pretty sure it is the harmonic balancer . I'm thinking about trying an impact wrench to loosen the balancer bolt at first, instead of the breaker bar method using the starter . My manual does not tell me if you loosen the bolt counter clockwise or clockwise. I can't seem to find the rotation of the engine in the manual. It only gives me the torque setting. Does anyone know which way to loosen the bolt.

Thanks

When my harmonic balancer failed and was replaced, my car's engine would sometimes stop running, even at highway speeds.  It turned out that when the balancer was replaced, the Crankshaft Position Sensor was damaged during the install.  If you do the replacement yourself, take care not the let the balancer come in contact with the sensor.