Replacing press fit seals and cleaning differential

Fleetwood Meadow

This is my first time replacing a pressed seal so I’m looking for some guide lines and tips. It is the pinion seal at the front of the rear axle on my 51 Meadowbrook. When I went under I saw oil sprayed in a straight light around the front of the axle. I called Andy Bernbaum since I’m going there Monday to pick some stuff up and they said it was the front seal. Is there an easy way to take it out? How about any lubricants/sealers for installation? I’ve never taken apart an axle, am I in for any surprises? I’m also going to replace the differential gasket as that leaks too. What’s the best way to clean the differential once I have it open?

Lucky for you... no crush sleeve on your Dodge.

Still prick punch your pinion nut, flange and drive pinion shaft to re-tighten the nut to where it was + a tiny tiny fraction of a turn tighter. 

Install the cotter pin in a nice way too!

If you don't have an impact gun to remove the nut you will have to figure your own way to firmly hold the drive pinion flange from turning while removing and installing the flange nut.

I always install pinion nuts by hand to control and feel the install.

I use a professional holding tool. If you are handy you can make something up. If you just try blocking the tires and try to remove/ install the pinion nut the car will move up on the chocks.IMG_1332.thumb.JPG.f22bec83825b8017351c8ad6901c54e3.JPG

1956 300 B Lisa's Rear pINION sEAL rEPLACEMENT (4).JPG

1956 300 B Lisa's Rear pINION sEAL rEPLACEMENT (3).JPG

Pinion Yoke Prick Punch Marking copy.JPG

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Those seals can be difficult to get out.

Here is a trick that I use.

Drill a small hole in the metal part, then run a screw into that hole. Now you can pull it out with a claw hammer or a crows foot.

If it doesn't work the first time you can drill another hole, but I think that if you do it right you will be pleasantly surprised.