Minnesota: Windy Hill Auto Salvage, New London

Dynaflash8

I've had fantastic service from Windy Hill Auto Salvage in Minnesota.  Some of their cars have been there over 50 years.  Only yesterday I was able to get a difficult to find small part for my 1941 Buick Roadmaster.  This car had already provided a good front bumper for me to re-plate.  Ask for Willy.   He will go out and look for even small parts like I needed yesterday and I've found his prices fair.

Based on the above post I stopped in at 3:30 pm Saturday afternoon while on an extended road trip - called ahead to see if they were open - Yep! Asked if there were any '36 Dodges in the yard - maybe - told me where to look - found some '35-36 MoPar hulks that hadn't been disturbed in a very long time with some bits I could use. The yard man was very obliging and we got what I needed by closing time - 5:00 pm.

There's a lot of '20's and '30's hulks in the yard and worth the time to look it over yourself if you can. This stuff is not listed on the web. A word of caution - the place is host to a lot of deer and consequently I met some deer ticks which may carry Lyme Disease so no shorts and use insect repellent.(also some hungry deer flies :( ) That said, I hope to be able to return some day when I have more time.(it's a 2 day drive one way for me)

They are nice folks to deal with but like many of us, not getting any younger. Go have a look. The stuff they have might surprise you.

Edited by 36 D2 Coupe
spelling (see edit history)

Did you talk to Willie?  He's been the one to help me on the phone.  I'd like to go there one day also (deer flies are awful and they love hair so always wear a good hat around them.  I had them in Virginia too.  Their sting hurts like blue blazes and they don't know when to let go.  You can smack those things and kill them while they are busy biting you. ?

We're dealing with some illness right now, but if we can get all squared I think we'll take a little vacation and go to Minnesota and I'll visit Dave Tachney, the Buick 1936-1941 parts man extroadinaire and go by Windy Hill for some fun browsing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mixed results with Windy Hill. First let me say that the people that I have spoken to could not have been nicer. The problem that I had with them came about when I purchased a door lock mechanism that I had been looking for over a year for my "40 Super. This mechanism was only produced for the Super and Roadmaster, so it is difficult to find. The guy in the yard cut the door handle off with a cutting torch, which distorted the brass latch piece that the handle fits into. The part was not usable, but they did refund my payment. I would have rather had the part. On hindsight maybe I should have offered $25 extra to remove it gently, it would have been worth it. Nice people though.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, kingrudy said:

I have mixed results with Windy Hill. First let me say that the people that I have spoken to could not have been nicer. The problem that I had with them came about when I purchased a door lock mechanism that I had been looking for over a year for my "40 Super. This mechanism was only produced for the Super and Roadmaster, so it is difficult to find. The guy in the yard cut the door handle off with a cutting torch, which distorted the brass latch piece that the handle fits into. The part was not usable, but they did refund my payment. I would have rather had the part. On hindsight maybe I should have offered $25 extra to remove it gently, it would have been worth it. Nice people though.

I think only talk to Willie, and tell him exactly what your problem is.  CTC Auto Rance in Texas has one or more 1940 Super/Roadmaster skeletons.  My problem recently has been in getting them to even look for an obscure part.  I had better luck with Larry Lawrence in Texas who did get me a couple of very obscure parts off of a '41.  Only this week I went back to Willie and got a defroster motor/core and heater core.  Hopefully they won't ruin whatever is there.  I can imagine it will be hard to remove.

Willie wrote me today and asked if these two parts looked okay.  Yeah they are rusty a little after laying in that car in the yard for over 50 years, and I'm guessing the blowers are locked up, but I wanted spare cores that are possibly repairable.  And, I hope I never need either one too.  An electric motor shop may even be able to get the blower motors going.  The fact is, these are obscure parts and probably no fun to retrieve.  I'm really happy with everything Willie and Windy Hill has done for me.

1995832621_41BuickMinnesotaheateranddefrostercore.thumb.jpg.9d48af91dc1b258f14f38556986f5fb9.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...