Engine compartment cleaning.

Guest alleyyooper

Guest alleyyooper

No it doesn't look like this any longer.

G4QDZ1h.jpg

But still isn't as clean as when I took it to thr beauty shop. Painter  guy gave me a can of tire cleaner and said just spray that stuff under the hood and wait about 10 minutes. I read the label and while the engine shows its 84,000 miles patina the air cleaner is still shiny once all the dust comes off.

What do you use for a cleaner other that elbow grease and degreaser?

:D          Al

Other than degreaser? 

While this does not answer that question I'd still recommend Gunk products in the spray bottle, or aerosol cans, but I like the bottled product better:  That an a parts brush to loosen the debris, and then rinse it away.  It's great stuff.

5ac8c33bbe804_1gunk.thumb.JPG.4e8346f88cb45adde12ccb3f05149af8.JPG

I've heard good things about the gel, but I haven't used it personally.  The 'regular' is good for tight areas where the stream can reach into nooks & crannies.  The foam is good for other areas where it clings better than the regular spray.  Key is a warm, but not hot engine, a couple of strategically-sized brushes and elbow grease.  Rinse and start the engine right away.  A can of WD-40 is handy to have if your spark plug wires fail the water test...   ;)

• Like 1

I uses ZEP 505 Degreaser.  It is strong. Does not require hot engine etc. A bit more user friendly than engine degreasers because it can be used on anything greasy around the house.  It worked particularly well in my garage were I can not hose off an engine.   

When "SuperClean" still had "Castrol" on the bottle, I had good results with that, especially on the driveway.  Not sure about it now.

I concur with "warm" engine as when you spray any liquid on the motor, cleaner or wash fluid, there'll be steam and smells.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

My preference is westleys bleche-wite but i prefer to use on a cool motor, it will take off light grease dirt and grime, usually doesn't harm paint but check first and do not leave it on to long, and don't let it get on the paint in the hot sun. i also have had good results with super clean  but watch out on aluminum parts it can make them look oxidized, and DO NOT spray on polished aluminum you will be sorry.  And remember to cover up your electronics from water!