1929 Model 135 questions

Jrbrks

i have recently been able to complete a major engine repair on a 1929 Model 135 Victoria, and I have a couple of questions:

1) at the initial start-up, I am using 10w30 Valvoline racing oil, as it is conventional based oil with adequate amounts of zinc phosphate.

Should I consider a different weight oil?

My intent is not to foster disagreement or long debate, but rather to understand the recommended practices among Franklin experts.

2). My car has a jury-rigged spring for the brake light that I know is not standard.

Is there not a pressure switch that goes into the master cylinder to activate the brake light?  If so, can someone provide a source and/or part number for the switch?

Also, where is it mounted?

3). Has anyone purchased tires, tubes and flaps recently?  I am guessing Coker or Universal are the only vendors?  Mine are 6.50 x 19.  

Is there anything specific I should request, especially with respect to the tubes and flaps?

4) I bought an oil filter from Roberts and it is considerably bigger than my stock filter.

Is there a better source, or a better solution?

5). Does anyone have thoughts on installing a second (passenger side) rear tail light that will not look too out of place?

my Victoria carries a single spare tire on the rear.

6). Does anyone have a source for 6 volt halogen headlight bulbs or LED bulbs for the tail light?

Thank you for any thoughts/advice you may have.

Jim

I bought my tires and tubes from Lucas . He has the custom classic 650x19  They are in ca. 800 952 4333 and Ohio  i think. They have a website. 6 volt halogen from restoration Supply co. in Ca. 800 306 7008. Look on the Franklin club website for right side stanchions for an extra light.  Mr Staley in NY had made a bunch of these . Some guys take a stock  filter split it in half and make up a modern spin on oil filter work. Talk to Patrick Reeve 315 6631569 or Odyssey Restoration in Mn  about break in oil.  Good luck with your car !!!

For headlight bulbs go to Ebay and type in "6 volt halogen headlight bulbs" you will find them in the 35/35 watt and the higher watt also. It's buy it now so it's no waiting or bidding. Very reasonable price also.

Also www.lebaronbonney.com  has halogen headlight and tail light bulbs 

As far as a right hand tail light for a 29. George Staley used to make them from aluminum. They may have some left.

For filters that have screw on cartridges in then try www.bobsautomobilia.com he sells Buick parts and has three or four different size filter set ups.

Thanks to each of you for the terrific advice.

I appreciate this.

I am a newer member of the Franklin Club, and I did not find the right hand tail light housing produced by George Staley.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could determine if any of these remain available and/or for sale?

Thank you

Jim

It does not seem possible to acquire the right side stanchion from the contact provided.

I am wondering if anyone has other creative solutions/ideas  for a right side brake/signal light combination that would look reasonable?  

Thanks

Jim

Our Vermont car club was given 7 or 8 truck loads of stock from a CarQuest store going out of business. We have spent the past year and a half auctioning the items off in our monthly publication to raise funds for our educational programs. There was a lot of racing oil and we were not sure what to do with it. The advice we passed on to our members came from a Napa store owner and that was not to use it in our old cars. The oil is designed to be used for one race and then changed. 

I know an oil discussion can get complicated but would like to hear some thoughts. I am rebuilding an S10 engine and will be at that point soon.

Gary

Thank you for the contact for Mr Hull.  I will contact him.

I have purchased wiring from Rhode Island and used their products for two previous vehicles.  I prefer to make my own harnesses, and RI has provided great quality and service.  

I appreciate the oil thoughts.  I will go to a heavier weight oil, such as 20w40 or 20w50.

As I indicated, I chose the oil based on the fact that it was non-synthetic and had adequate amounts of zinc phosphate.  

I appreciate the thoughts and advice provided.

Jim

I bought a 1929 Franklin 137 that was shipped to Uruguay South America to the dealer Fresnado and Crow. The car was right hand drive before I restored it back to left hand drive. and this is where the pattern came from that George Staley copied  . It would be a chore but I think a left hand station could be cut and welded to make a right hand piece.  Call Doug Hull at 201 230 3300 and I am sure he can make you one up from a stock casting.

I checked the Valvoline website, and they indicated the racing oil could also be safely used in passenger cars.

As as I mentioned earlier, I am using this as a standard, non-synthetic motor oil with adequate amounts of zinc phosphate.

Jim