Delco Starter Generator torque spec's. needed

alsfarms

I am looking to retrofit a Delco Remy Starter Generator, as used on garden tractors, to start and provide a charge to a battery on an antique auto engine.  I would like to know what the available torque output is to see if this is a valid option for me to consider.  The next question, is it a possibility to mount this Delco Remy unit to a gear reduction unit to improve the torque available and speed up the unit for charging?  Has anyone here played with one of these units and been successful in a working conversion.

Alan

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Hello Mark,

I have a 30 hp pre-starter engine that I would like to use a starter generator to provide a means to roll the flywheel to start then provide the means to keep up and tend a battery.  I am familiar with the garden tractor Delco Remy units, they don't quite have the torque needed but I would like to know what they are rated.  I am also looking at the Northeast variety as used on Dodge Bros. but and not sure they have enough twist either.

Al

I recall years ago reading about a guy who did a similar conversion on an early, very large engine car. He used a 20s Dodge starter/generator that was chain driven to the flywheel. It did not have enough power to start the car. When he went to start he would grab the crank with one hand and pull a knob that looked like a choke with the other hand and turn the engine over with starter assist. It started easily and no one the wiser.

• Like 1

Hello Rusty,

Do you recall any other details about the conversion using a Dodge Bros. starter generator?  I wish the engine, I would like to fit with a starter generator, had a compression release, but it does not.  I could leave the priming cups open to get it to fire and reduce compression but that would be a pain in the behind to do every time I would want to start it.  The better idea is to simply use it as an assist, like you mentioned.  I have never been inside one of these starter-generators.  I wonder if one of these Dodge units could be "hot rodded" to get a bit more twist out of it?

Al

The article was in an old car magazine in the sixties. It was about some large early car with a very large displacement engine. The owner was an old man with a heart condition. He wanted to keep the crank start but added the starter/generator to make it easier to turn. The unit was off a 4 cylinder Dodge and did not have enough moxie to turn the much larger engine.

Those early engines with trembler coils will start easily if everything is right, they do not have to turn very fast. You could gear down a starter very slow and it would still work.