Ian Greenlaw

Ron Lawson

Hi Ron,

Nah, I'm still alive.

I went on a month trip to Europe and while I was away my mum got quite sick. In and out of Hospitals for 4 months. She's doing a lot better now.

A hail storm ripped through just before Xmas and I've been dealing with insurance companies which I hope this week will be all sorted.

Then my wife went into Hospital and both legs operated on at once so sh'e just got back on her feet.

Inbetween all this I took Fiat Chrysler Australia to VCAT as my door handle broke on my 300C. Long story short, as the trim had to be cut to gain access to the lock and Chrysler wanted $3,300 for a door trim !!! I sourced one for the states for half the price. So to repair the handle, lock and trim it cost me $3200. So I took Chrysler to task saying it should have lasted longer. VCAT agreed and Chrysler have to pay me the $3200.

On top of that I bought a small internet based business off a friend of mine ( www.woodbits.com.au ) which has really taken off. I've run out of garage space so I've had to build ( still building ) a storage area for this so I have to get this done asap.

I'm hoping to get back to the car in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

I would like it finished now as this last year has been really dragging.

I have a guy in New Zealand who is making some new hubcap skins but I haven't heard from him in a while.

I'm about to take the garnish moulds to a guy who will give them that timber finish. I've also repaired and had replated the vent window opening handle. All small jobs but take a while to do them.

I'll start posting again as soon as I've have something decent to post about.

I'll be back !!

Cheers

Ian

Ian,

I too wondered how you were getting on, as I have been missing your inspirational updates. Then I saw your letter in "Restored Cars" (I presume it was you), so figured you were still around. Reassuring to see other people get interrupted from Dodge stuff too, not only me!!.

Good luck with it all.

John

Thanks John,

I have missed working on the old girl. Maybe I should pay more attention to the letters in restored cars....I missed my own letter !!

Eddy did ring me and we had a great discussion.

I was hoping for more info but looked like a lot of records were not kept.

I'll keep updating with the car as soon as I start back on it.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Ian ... Talking about you yesterday with Tony ...   About time for a catch up and check progress ... Got back on Tuesday From Bairnsdale ... A great long weekend ...Previous owner put me onto a guy down there with 34 bits .... wire spokes .. caps  and some other parts  The Dodge ran a bit hot on the longer haul but I am back into it today, and have it sorted ... Give us a ring when you have some free time ... Take Care Mate

Edited by Ken_Lincoln (see edit history)

I feel your pain, Ian.  Health issues and three film projects have my restoration temporarily stalled.  My knee is now almost healed and I'm finishing up the last film, so with the weather warming up, I hope to get back to my car very soon.  Sometimes I wonder where the time goes.

Hi Guys,

Another interesting "issue" I had was with my Chrysler 300C. I went to open the door and the lock broke which in turn the door handle broke.

The 300's have a wrap around trim so with the door lock broken in the locked position I was climbing over the passenger seat to get in.

The car was only 3 years and 9 months old and had only travelled 34,000kms.

My mechanic spoke to Chrysler and the only way to get in was to cut the trim ( or a hole in the outside of the door which didn't appeal to me. Chrysler wanted $3,300 for a trim panel.

I sourced one myself from the States for $1200 landed.

So after paying for the lock, handle, trim and labour I was down $3,200.

Chrysler wouldn't offer a "goodwill" payment as I got it repaired by a 3rd party ( my mechanic ).

After 4 months of waiting and emails I lodged a claim with VCAT ( an Australian Tribunal that deals with small claims ) stating that under Australian Law it should have lasted as what a reasonable person should expect it to last.

They didn't even bother to turn up to the hearing so the Tribunal found in favor of me and they had to pay me $3,200 plus $200 in costs !

Winner winner chicken dinner..ha

All in all it took from May last year to February this year to get a result but worth it I think.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2018 at 1:25 PM, Ian_Greenlaw said:

they had to pay me $3,200 plus $200 in costs !

The rub is, did they pay up?

In this country it is known as the Consumer Guarantees Act. That would have been covered there too. Sometimes, though, it takes publicity to get some action.