63 Riviera Questions

Guest Baltimoretint

Guest Baltimoretint

I have a 63 Riviera that has been in the family since 1965, I have a strong interest in restoration of this vehicle for many reasons, my question is what is the difficulty of availability of parts for this particular year? I don't know how common this is but there was a "built expressly for" plaque in the middle of the car on the center console that has been there since my grandparents purchased it, and I was also curious how common the power seats windows and tilt wheel and trumpet horns were in that year, any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

The plaque to which you're referring is common to all first generation Rivieras. It came blank with the car with instructions as to where to mail it and the inscription you wanted.  You sent it back to Buick, they would engrave it and return it to you.  Trumpet horns are not that common.

In the words of one of the more frequent posters on the Buick forums, "without pictures it don't exist!". ? Post pictures when you can along with what history of the car that you know. 

In answer to part of your original question, very few parts are reproduced - no body parts except for floor boards and those take some work to make them fit. The search feature for this forum is easy to use and you can probably find an answer for your question. If not, just ask.

Ed

Guest Baltimoretint
1 hour ago, RivNut said:

In the words of one of the more frequent posters on the Buick forums, "without pictures it don't exist!". ? Post pictures when you can along with what history of the car that you know. 

In answer to part of your original question, very few parts are reproduced - no body parts except for floor boards and those take some work to make them fit. The search feature for this forum is easy to use and you can probably find an answer for your question. If not, just ask.

Ed

Thank you for the replies, like I said the car has been in my family since 1965 they were contemplating getting rid of it's because it needs a tremendous amount of work but I feel that it is worth restoring due to the sentimental value as well, it was actually my first car in 1989 I drove it for approximately 2 years and it's been sitting ever since, I will post a few pictures when I get a chance.

Several running changes were made to the 63. Under the hood is the Fisher Body (FB) number. Not the VIN, but the body number out of 40,000 63s produced. Post this number, with or without (better with) pictures, and we can you more about your car. A picture of this tag would also help identify factory options.

Guest Baltimoretint
6 minutes ago, steelman said:

Several running changes were made to the 63. Under the hood is the Fisher Body (FB) number. Not the VIN, but the body number out of 40,000 63s produced. Post this number, with or without (better with) pictures, and we can you more about your car. A picture of this tag would also help identify factory options.

Will do!

06B - Built the 2nd week of June.  FB 36231 - out of 40,000.  By this time all of the running changes had been made.  The data codes on the plate are for options installed at the Fisher Body plant, basically from the firewall back.  Things like tilt wheel, cornering lights, four note horns, etc. are not stamped on this plate. The plate covers options on the body before it was shipped to final assembly where the body was married to the chassis, engine, and front clip.

Gord Wolfgang is writing a series of articles on production of theses cars. The first installment is in the current issue of the Riview. 

On 6 November 2017 at 11:05 AM, Baltimoretint said:

Thank you for the replies, like I said the car has been in my family since 1965 they were contemplating getting rid of it's because it needs a tremendous amount of work but I feel that it is worth restoring due to the sentimental value as well, it was actually my first car in 1989 I drove it for approximately 2 years and it's been sitting ever since, I will post a few pictures when I get a chance.

Hi, welcome to the forum. This is a great resource for first time owners of a Riviera (like me too) and has a great group of people who contribute so much to your project in the way of expertise, suggestions, photos, technical data, even enthusiasm.

You may also consider joining the Riviera Owners Association too, as that will unlock many of the "secrets" about these cars. And other necessary resources are a workshop manual, body shop manual and owners manuals. 

Good luck with your project, do one thing every day!

Rodney ?????

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2017 at 7:35 PM, Baltimoretint said:

Baltimoretint,

i live in Lutherville and have a restored 63 Buick Riviera. If I can help in any way give me a private message and we can set up a phone conversation.

Bob Burnopp ( Red Riviera Bob)

I'm not trying to take away anybody's offers to help, but the ROA has highly qualified Tech Advisors who will answer any questions you might have.  The phone numbers for those Tech Advisors are listed along with other contact information in the Riview.  These guys have probably seen or heard of any maladies you may have and they're more than willing to help.

• Thanks 1

My story similar to yours, car had been setting in a garage for many years. After changing oil (squirt oil in Cyl.) I put new gas in(wished i'd drain the tank but didn't) It turned over just fine but would not fire, discovered points corroded, changed them and it fired just fine. It sounded terrible, put Marvel oil in crank case and it slowly started sounding better(maybe took a week). 

I was worried about 50 yr old brakes, fluid in Master cylinder was like jelly, I ordered new brake lines(inline tube), MC, Slave cylinders, hardware, and sent brake  booster to Booster Dewey for rebuild. The front to rear brake line at the rear tee was completely rusted. Changing the lines is not to terrible but trying to start some of the tubing nuts can be a pain.

Getting the car on the road was great, but soon discovered a multitude of leaks, Transmission, engine, power steering pump and gear. Transmission was the worse so that was first.  Try to do all work myself, ROA and in particular Jim Cannon and his CD's are great resources.

IMG_0762.JPG

Edited by Chasander (see edit history)