Anyone into model railroading

RivNut

3 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

I love my American Flyer that was a Christmas present from my dad back in 1958!  Still have it!

I still have the Lionel 027 gauge that I got for Christmas back in '52.  The only way I remember that is because Christmas is two weeks after my sister was born and she was born in '52.  Old pictures show me with the train and my mom holding my baby sister.  

14 hours ago, Pat Curran said:

My engine made smoke and after a few hours of running it in a closed room, you couldn’t find the door!!

Although the original Lionel smoke pellets were declared toxic, I still love to put them in my engines and smell them. Reminds me of all of the  great Christmases of my growing up when we set up MY train set in the living room (we had a small house) but had to take it down after Christmas.  I got my original set on Christmas of 1959, our 55 yellow Buick Special about to be traded the next year for our 1960 Black Lesabre, and only four years later my Dad's heartthrob car of his life, our 1964 Buick Riviera, which of course I still have.   The 50s and early 60s were such a great time in which to grow up,

My younger brother and I loved to turn all of the lights off in the basement and use only the lights from the engine, switches, and a four lamp "yard light" to illuminate the set.  Seeing the smoke from the locomotive against the darkened background gave a quasi real feeling to everything.  The train whistle wasnt very authentic though.  The most fun in the dark was seeing how close you could get your face to a curve. The headlamp from the train would come straight at you then abruptly turn just before it got to you.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)