65 jack install

jframe

How in the world does that crazy hook and spring secure the jack in the car? No guide ANYWHERE showing orientation. I have tried several spots for the hook after finally wiggling the jack itself back into its mounts, but nothing seems to secure or tight. Also, does the lug wrench just lay in the floor?

1 hour ago, jframe said:

How in the world does that crazy hook and spring secure the jack in the car? No guide ANYWHERE showing orientation. I have tried several spots for the hook after finally wiggling the jack itself back into its mounts, but nothing seems to secure or tight. Also, does the lug wrench just lay in the floor?

Here is a picture showing the spring hook and jack. I hold my lug wrench with velcro straps. Others have used rubber bands cut from a bicycle inner tube. Don't feel bad. I struggled with the same thing when I got my car. Looking at the pieces, how hard can it be? I had to ask one of the Riv gurus on how to get mine installed. Hope this helps.

Bill

IMG_2030.JPG

Edited by Riviera63
edit text (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, Riviera63 said:

Here is a picture showing the spring hook and jack. I hold my lug wrench with velcro straps. Others have used rubber bands cur from a bicycle inner tube. Don't feel bad. I struggled with the same thing when I got my car. Looking at the pieces, how hard can it be? I had to ask one of the Riv gurus on how to get mine installed. Hope this helps.

Bill

IMG_2030.JPG

Thanks, that does help. For starters, I have the jack upside down. Hopefully, I can flip it without having to wiggle it out of the brackets. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

7 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Something else you can do is to lay it between the tire and the deck surface then tighten the wing nut down to hold it in place.  It's out of the way and it won't go floating around.

Something you "CAN" do.  Won't slide or rattle around on your way to the show, then you place it where it came from the factory. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jframe said:

..from the "anywhere" file:

img051.jpg

Tom I was told this by people who said they were certain of it a couple of times, once on this forum and another long time owner told

me this in the Buick Club. I should know for certain since my family bought one of these brand new but after 53 years the memory gets foggy. I have looked

for some kind of definitive proof on this but have been unable to document this so far, but I will to continue to search for absolute proof of this. I'm pretty

confident that I 'm right on this. Dick Sweeney should know, he's owned these his whole life, but I've never asked him about the jack handle. If anyone would

know I think he would. If you mount it under the spare, the tire won't fit under the package shelf on a 65 model, so I don't believe the above picture would apply to a 65. I tried putting it under the spare and it won't fit there.   

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

Great info, got the jack in place today! Tom, you always come up with great documentation! One more question; will a reproduction tire cover from Clark's fit a 215/75-15 or 225/75-15 tire? My spare is an old 205/75-15 dated 1986, so it's due for replacement. Thinking about one of the American Classic whitewall radials in either the 215 or 225/75 sizes, with the 1.3" whitewall. Just don't see any sense in ordering a cover  if it won't stretch around it.

7 minutes ago, jframe said:

Great info, got the jack in place today! Tom, you always come up with great documentation! One more question; will a reproduction tire cover from Clark's fit a 215/75-15 or 225/75-15 tire? My spare is an old 205/75-15 dated 1986, so it's due for replacement. Thinking about one of the American Classic whitewall radials in either the 215 or 225/75 sizes, with the 1.3" whitewall. Just don't see any sense in ordering a cover  if it won't stretch around it.

When I got my car I bought 5 new 225/75-15 for my car. I regretted getting that size for the spare. In my 63 it was a bear to get to fit on the shelf. I finally followed the advice of a fellow forum member and let the air out of the spare and carried a small electric portable compressor. That helped but, it was still pain to get in. I finally went out and got a good used tire of a smaller size. It slid in very easily and I didn't have to climb into the trunk to get it to it as I did before with the larger size. I figured the tire would not stay on that long if I did get a flat so a used, smaller tire won't matter. With the cover on you can't tell. I had the half cover from CARS and it fit the larger size but, with a struggle and looked OK. With the smaller spare the cover also goes on much easier and has a better fit and look.

Bill

7 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

Tom I was told this by people who said they were certain of it a couple of times, once on this forum and another long time owner told

me this in the Buick Club. I should know for certain since my family bought one of these brand new but after 53 years the memory gets foggy. I have looked

for some kind of definitive proof on this but have been unable to document this so far, but I will to continue to search for absolute proof of this. I'm pretty

confident that I 'm right on this. Dick Sweeney should know, he's owned these his whole life, but I've never asked him about the jack handle. If anyone would

know I think he would. If you mount it under the spare, the tire won't fit under the package shelf on a 65 model, so I don't believe the above picture would apply to a 65. I tried putting it under the spare and it won't fit there.   

It fits under the original spare in my 38K mile `65 GS ?

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

17 hours ago, jframe said:

I  have never purchased the repro tire cover so I dont know the answer to your question?

Tom

14 hours ago, 1965rivgs said:

It fits under the original spare in my 38K mile `65 GS ?

Tom

Therein probably lies the answer. Only with the factory skinny bias ply can the jack handle fit under the wheel, so starting in about 1973, people were

forced to put it somewhere else and on the floor by the jack was the most logical place. I'm going to put the correct skinny tires on my car next year and if the jack

handle will fit under the spare as you say, that's where I'm going to put it. It's odd that there is no mention of placement of the handle in the owners manual or in

the jacking instruction decal under the deck lid.