Sign in to follow this  
first64riv

HELP...I pulled the rotor without marking it, 425 won't start.

1965rivgs    54
5 hours ago, KongaMan said:

To be clear, all you need to do to fix that is rotate the distributor (like you're adjusting the timing, only moreso).  Give it a twist until you're at the #1 firing position.  The problem you may have is the cap ends up in an inconvenient location (with the window and/or vacuum advance pointing in an inaccessible direction), but the car should run fine and you can dial the timing in.  And if you're installing a Pertronix system, you don't use that window anyway. ;)  If you find that you're always one cylinder off when it seats, start with it one cylinder off in the other direction.  If you're consistent, it will be right where you want it when it drops in.

The reason you align the slot in the oil pump and the tang on the distributor shaft prior to installation is so the vacuum advance and the cap window are pointed where you want them when the distributor is seated.  It has nothing to do with the timing or how the engine will run.

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

The base hence the cap should be held in the correct position while the rotor/shaft is rotated during R and R to compensate for the cut of the gears. No reason for the cap to be out of proper position, even if rotating the engine to index the oil pump drive shaft, the base, hence the cap, of the dist is held stationary.

Tom

first64riv    5
10 hours ago, KongaMan said:

To be clear, all you need to do to fix that is rotate the distributor (like you're adjusting the timing, only moreso).  Give it a twist until you're at the #1 firing position.  The problem you may have is the cap ends up in an inconvenient location (with the window and/or vacuum advance pointing in an inaccessible direction), but the car should run fine and you can dial the timing in.  And if you're installing a Pertronix system, you don't use that window anyway. ;)  If you find that you're always one cylinder off when it seats, start with it one cylinder off in the other direction.  If you're consistent, it will be right where you want it when it drops in.

The reason you align the slot in the oil pump and the tang on the distributor shaft prior to installation is so the vacuum advance and the cap window are pointed where you want them when the distributor is seated.  It has nothing to do with the timing or how the engine will run.

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

After reading your comments and thinking about the steps I went through I completely understand what you mean.  It'll make life easier the next time I have to work with the distributor.  Thanks for your responses, they've been very helpful.

• Like 1