Speakers and Radio

jonahboo

Good Morning

case subject:

'68 Riviera

I NEED TUNES - I commute about 1 hour a day (each way) - plan on driving it 1-2x a week

I am looking at the RetroSound stereo conversion radio (Bluetooth yadda yadda).....was wondering if anyone went down this path? - results?

also

can someone please tell me what size speaker is in the front dash and the rear seat?

my interior is also perfect.....so - I don't want to hack anything.....just want some music....

thank you

yes, I considered getting a rebuilt am/fm.....but they are in the $300 range and I need a new power ant. too (another $100+).....might as well move into the 21st century!

1 minute ago, NCRiviera said:

Front speaker is 4x10, You can get a dual cone stereo speaker for this position on the Retrosound site.

Rea seat speaker IS 6X9.

awesome

do they (or anyone) make a dual cone 6x9?

thank you!

Check the Retro Auto Sound site. I believe they make a dual cone 6x9 stereo speaker also. I bought my 4x10 from them for my '69 Caprice and it works great though the stereo separation is limited due to the single speaker source.

You can order 8 ohm original style speakers from The Parts Place that will work with your original car radio. Be sure NOT to use newer 4 ohm speakers with your original stock radio, as you can damage the radio if you do.

My '68 Rivi has the replacement 8 ohm speakers in the dash and rear seat. Though it is not true stereo I can still enjoy my tunes out of the original radio.

My two cents worth...

Edited by NCRiviera (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jonahboo said:

Good Morning

case subject:

'68 Riviera

I NEED TUNES - I commute about 1 hour a day (each way) - plan on driving it 1-2x a week

I am looking at the RetroSound stereo conversion radio (Bluetooth yadda yadda).....was wondering if anyone went down this path? - results?

also

can someone please tell me what size speaker is in the front dash and the rear seat?

my interior is also perfect.....so - I don't want to hack anything.....just want some music....

thank you

yes, I considered getting a rebuilt am/fm.....but they are in the $300 range and I need a new power ant. too (another $100+).....might as well move into the 21st century!

Good morning,

IF you don't want to hack "ANYTHING" you may do as I do;

IPod on the front seat and a portable speaker sits cozy in my back seat. Blue Tooth or hard wire, re-chargeable. Its got great bass. I first bought a portable Bose speaker for twice the price. This speakers' freq' range blew the Bose away by far.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I9ICVZW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61yMV1Z61kL__SL1000_.jpg

Edited by PWB (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, PWB said:

Good morning,

IF you don't want to hack "ANYTHING" you may do as I do;

IPod on the front seat and a portable speaker sits cozy in my back seat. Blue Tooth or hard wire, re-chargeable. Its got great bass. I first bought a portable Bose speaker for twice the price. This speakers' freq' range blew the Bose away by far.

thanks for the idea - it's similar to what I use now.......but don't like leaving it in view (rarely lock the doors)

and I forget to charge the JBL unit often enuff!

jonahboo,  This may be a little late but I used this item discretely mounted Digital Amplifier Mini Bluetooth Stereo Amplifier to drive a dual driver stereo speaker from Classic Care Stereos that fits in the rear seat 6x9 location in my 65.  It can receive input from a Bluetooth device like an ipod/iphone for your playlist (that is one way I use it) and it has hard wired inputs that I use for a discretely mounted Satellite Radio input (although it can take input from any line level output).  I only get modern sounds from the back as I kept my original 4x10 speaker and original Delco AM Radio in the dash (they both work) for originality.  All I had to do is get power to the amp, run speaker wires to the back speaker, set up the satellite radio and voila.  Just a thought.

Rock On

gord

Edited by msdminc (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, msdminc said:

jonahboo,  This may be a little late but I used this item discretely mounted Digital Amplifier Mini Bluetooth Stereo Amplifier to drive a dual driver stereo speaker from Classic Care Stereos that fits in the rear seat 6x9 location in my 65.  It can receive input from a Bluetooth device like an ipod/iphone for your playlist (that is one way I use it) and it has hard wired inputs that I use for a discretely mounted Satellite Radio input (although it can take input from any line level output).  I only get modern sounds from the back as I kept my original 4x10 speaker and original Delco AM Radio in the dash (they both work) for originality.  All I had to do is get power to the amp, run speaker wires to the back speaker, set up the satellite radio and voila.  Just a thought.

Rock On

gord

wow

that is a neat solution,,,,,,,,,and much much cheaper!

maybe i'll grab one for one of the other cars!

how did you get power to it? - looks like it uses a 9v type AC plug?

thanks!

Edited by jonahboo (see edit history)

Jonahboo, I believe the one I got used 24V DC, so I used a 12V to 24V DC converter/transformer to step it up from the 12V I had in the car to the necessary 24V the amp takes.  I had a converter hanging around so I used it.  This is similar  to what I used.  If you get something similar to this, they come with a variety power adapters to insert into the back of the amp.  Make sure you take the power from the switched side of the vehicle system so it doesn't stay on when parked in your garage.  You can also provide 12v from a separate power source, like a portable 12v battery if you like.  

Alternately you could probably find a 12v Bluetooth Amp and then you don't have to worry about the 12v-24v conversion but you will still need the correct power adapter for the back of the Amp.

Incidentally, my setup can be removed from the car or set up in seconds.

Rock On

gord

I plan on modifying my car for speakers. I was sizing up my dash the other day, I suspect there's room above the gauge cluster, and the glove box for a pair od speakers if they're not too tall. It looks like the rear deck has plenty of room.

17 hours ago, steelman said:

Swede, can I get some more info on your speaker? Sounds like something I want to investigate further.

Hi Steve, I bought my speaker in Australia but this should be the same one in the USA:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179

Sorry, the first one was the Australian site. Here is the US version:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/6x9-inch-ultra-thin-dash-speaker?variant=31329865422

Edited by SwedeDownUnderR63 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 3:37 AM, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Hi Steve, I bought my speaker in Australia but this should be the same one in the USA:

http://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=179

Sorry, the first one was the Australian site. Here is the US version:

https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/6x9-inch-ultra-thin-dash-speaker?variant=31329865422

Thanks, Jan. It is amazing how different these two sites are. I looked at the US version on Saturday. Didn't see much info, but I was on my phone and thought it was just the mobile site. Looked at both sites after you posted the links from home. Lots more info of the Aussie site for the same part number. Thanks, again.

• Like 1