364 Nailhead carb for compression check?

Guest crazyblaize

Guest crazyblaize

Can someone please tell me the name and usual price of a carburetor that fits on a 364 Nailhead V8? 

I've been looking for a while, I just need a carburetor that can start my engine to I can test the compression.

Buick Model.PNG

Engine.PNG

Engine Specs.PNG

You don't need a carb to test compression as this is done without the engine running.

Pull the plugs out and turn the engine over with a compression gauge in the spark plug hole.

Go on to next cylinder. They should all be within 10 % of the others. Obvious failures will be shown by very low compression.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest crazyblaize
58 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

You don't need a carb to test compression as this is done without the engine running.

Pull the plugs out and turn the engine over with a compression gauge in the spark plug hole.

Go on to next cylinder. They should all be within 10 % of the others. Obvious failures will be shown by very low compression.

Thank you so much!! I'll make sure to get that done, but do you know a compatible carb? Id like to get the engine running after I check the compression

Guest crazyblaize
3 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Do you not have the original carburetor that came with the engine? What about the intake? Is it two barrel or four barrel?

No I don't, it is a 2 barrel. Ive been looking for a week or so and I can't find an original, or one that fits.

Guest crazyblaize
6 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Without finding an original two barrel carburetor, you'll have to rewire your ignition system to use an aftermarket Holley or competition Rochester remake... there isn't a whole lot out there for two barrel carbs.

Would it be easier to buy a aftermarket carb and make a conversion plate?

Stromberg WWs were used on many makes & models back then. While the Buick version was unique because of the throttle start system, I'd bet that any WW would work with minor adaptation. There were two different 2bbls used in '56, but I only remember the Stromberg because that's what we have. The other was probably a Rochester, but I don't recall the model.

1 hour ago, crazyblaize said:

No I don't, it is a 2 barrel. Ive been looking for a week or so and I can't find an original, or one that fits.

Have you tried John  at the Carburetor shop ?  http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

He seems to have lots of old carbs for sale and can probably tell you what to look for.

Question, how are you going to turn the engine over ?  Are you going to jump the wires that go to  the carb starting switch ?

Guest crazyblaize
9 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

Have you tried John  at the Carburetor shop ?  http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

He seems to have lots of old carbs for sale and can probably tell you what to look for.

Question, how are you going to turn the engine over ?  Are you going to jump the wires that go to  the carb starting switch ?

we put a jumper cable with button on the starter, and used a spray bottle to spray gas into the intake. then pressed the button to engage the starter

I see you have two choices in carbs  Both carter only difference is whether it is manual or Automatic

Carter 2536 for Dynaflow (automatic) or Carter 2529 for Standard transmission. I see a 2529 on Ebay at the moment.

The Larger cars could use an AFB 2507 that might be easier to find if you get an intake.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest crazyblaize
39 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I see you have two choices in carbs  Both carter only difference is whether it is manual or Automatic

Carter 2536 for Dynaflow (automatic) or Carter 2529 for Standard transmission. I see a 2529 on Ebay at the moment.

The Larger cars could use an AFB 2507 that might be easier to find if you get an intake.

would i need a conversion plate for the 2536? I have an automatic.

I'll go against the grain here and suggest you get an adapter and get yourself a brand spanking new Holley 350cfm 2300 series.. Go to eBay and look up item number  263002067357 that's the adapter you'll need.. And yes you will no longer have the pedal start but that's easy to over come

• Like 1

…. here is what I would do … it is easy to track down either the proper set up as Bill noted above, a Rochester or the Carter carb in either 2 barrel or 4 barrel livery from dismantlers across the country and as a last resort gee bay … then call up Daytona Carb Parts Co. out of Georgia I believe and they will send you out the proper corn-a-ol proof kit for your particular carb … try and keep and revive the original leather accelerator pump as the newer plastic ones are garbage … note however that if you have the low compression 264 out of a Special you really do not have the Cam and pistons ( compression ratio and flow ) in it to properly benefit from the 4-bbl so try and get yourself the proper 2 bbl from the get go … and the biggest benefit of all you will have no artsie fartsie arts n crafts needed to adopt/adapt etc if you go with some off the shelf "fits all" night mare setup and as a bonus you will be able to keep it all true blue Buick and with it's unique foot starter and not convert it into a boring ride … just what we would do …..