Buick 1920-1930 S series Wood spoke wheels with caps

• 1920-30 S series Buick Wood spoke rim wheels with original caps. 

Looking for a serious buyer for 4 Buick Wood spoke rim wheels.  They have the original caps.  Are in good condition, I'm not an expert.  They have been stored in the rafters of a garage for decades.  It's time for them to have a home.  They appear to be front and rear.  There is rust, but no corrosion. 

Asking price is $1,500.  But a reasonable offer would be considered.  We won't beak up the set. Located in Cental Michigan, 1 hour north of Grand Rapids.

Please email me for pictures.  Thanks

tmp_32708-IMG_20170419_184512-292919612.jpg

tmp_32708-IMG_20170414_193044233424777921.jpg

tmp_3036-IMG_20170414_193124831-1495130753.jpg

Edited by Boniblue
add pictures (see edit history)

These look to be wheels for 21" rims 1926-1927 possibly 1928 cars (crushed aluminum caps). The fellow width and brake drum diameters tell if they are for a master or standard. 14" drum for a master. The spokes are very scared and look like they have many cracks. To me, $1,500 would be for a restored set. You would have that much into restoring them to be functional. On ebay there are many wood spoke wheels that people are asking $400-$500 each and look as if they were pulled from a swamp or burn pile. Some of these ads have been on there for years.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Dibarlaw,

Did you want me to get the exact fellow width and brake drum diameters to tell if they are for a master or standard. 14" drum for a master? Since I don't know what a fellow width is, you will need to explain that to me.

These where not pulled out of a junk yard. My son's grandfather worked for PennCental RR and these were part of his memorabilia.

If you are seriously interested in making a reasonable offer, I am willing to send you pictures specific to your questions with a a tape measure and close up photos.

I agree they need restoring, however; we have seen the junk on eBay and agree with you.  Those are junk.

If you respond, Pease send your email address and I will send the pictures.

The best way to tell what you have is with the demountable rim.  Start with measuring the rim width.  3 7/8" wide for standard, and 4 1/2" wide for Master.  Then measure the rim circumference where the tire bead goes.  Now think Geometry, circumference is pie diameter or 3.14 x diameter.  If you get 66 inches, they are 21" rims.  Shown is a 22" rim.  The Buick list will tell which years the wheels will fit.   You may want to pull off the hub caps and verify that you have 2 front wheels and 2 back wheels.  The front wheels have ball bearings in them, and the back wheels have a taper with a key slot if they are for a standard.  Then I would change the title on the posting so people know what year and model you are selling.  If they are 21", they would be correct for 26/27 and 28, and you could also use them for 1925 if you were not a purist and had the entire set.       Hugh 

IMG_3710.thumb.JPG.cc14ffbbcc7a090bd0c328ecd9fdf865.JPG5934826f918c2_Buickrimdatajpg.thumb.jpg.3b4b878a20d555532610a50e9a0fbccf.jpg

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Let me elaborate a little on what Larry said - they are 1924 or later because there are brake drums on all wheels.  This was the first year of four wheel brakes on Buicks.  The 'script' lettering on the hubcaps started with the 1923 models.  I am not exactly certain when the aluminum hubcaps started, but it was later on into the 1920's.  There is only one split rim on the wheels in your photos - do you have the rest of them?  Hugh, he should be able to tell the fronts from the rears by looking at the back sides of them - just sayin'

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

The "felloe" is the outer part of the wheel that the rim fits over.  Earlier model cars had a wood felloe as well as wood spokes.  Either of these were called "Artillery" wheels.  Starting in the early thirties (maybe very late twenties) some "artillery" wheels were all steel so then one had to say wooden artillery or steel artillery.  This nomenclature and years mentioned are for many cars of this era not exclusively Buick.

Tinindian,...Oh boy!  Well, I might need to remove this listing, as it's way over my knowledge and the more I hear.. too complicated.  That being said.  If anyone is interested.  Please let me know.  Or if you are local, near Grand Rapids (we are one hour north of Grand Rapids, Michigan.) You could check them out.  Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

31Buick80 : Welcome to AACA forums. Glad you are here ! Are you not seeing the pics on your device ? Help is available , and pics are more than just icing on this camp's cake. I am a computer moron , so I can not help you if you are having problems downloading pics. Let the guys know if you need to. It has been calculated that one pic is worth several hundred words. Rumor has it that figure is more like 1000 words. Perhaps more in some cases. Couldn't help it ! Just having some fun ! I hope you will stay with us !     - Carl

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Grueby, the Rims are complete..no tires.  I'm unsure of the metal hubs caps.. aluminum or chrome.  I'm definitely not an expert.  let me know if you need more pictures.  We are located 1 hour north of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Thank you for asking. If you i

Screenshot_20190411-223817.png

Screenshot_20190411-223800.png

Screenshot_20190411-223831.png

Please be patient with us as we are trying to help you ID these wheels.  It will make it easier to find someone who wants them if we can pinpoint what range of cars these came off of.  Everything is referenced off of the size of the tire bead.

Since you only have 1 rim, this is the key.  

1) Please measure the width of the single wheel rim.

2) On that rim, measure the circumference around the bead area with a tape measure.  This is the most accurate way to determine the diameter.  I just need this length and I will calculate the diameter for you.   Hugh

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, Grueby said:

Im hoping someone can help me find good home for a pair of great conditioned Buick wheels that look very similar to those in this article. I am located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Again my response was to Grueby about the possibility of having similar wheels and needing that information to send them to a "good home". We have already given Boniblue a good amount of information on his wheels back in June of 2017. We now just need the information from Grueby to assess his wheels.

Photos always a great start.

About this time in 2017 a local fellow found a very, very nice Buick wood spoke wheel and we met to make a possible buy if it was for either of my Buicks. (I believe he was asking $100.) My 1925 Standard has refitted 21" and 1925 Master with 22" rims. Upon inspection it was probably for a 1928 Master as it was for a 21" rim and had a 14" drum. Still with most of the original Maroon paint and all the striping still present! I had asked repeatedly about the dimensions as noted by Hubert 25-25. He would not take the time to give me any dimensions, so I had to meet him in a parking lot. I brought one of my 22" rims to try on it and as soon as he found it would not fit either of my cars he moved on and I do not know if he ever sold it. 

•  
  •  

Boniblue,

I think you also need to put your post in the Buick Buy and sell section, and the parts for sale section.  This posting is in the car for sale section.  I usually avoid this section as I do not need another car.   

To know if the hubcaps are aluminum, you can use a magnet.  Aluminum and brass are non magnetic.  If you can provide the rim dimensions then I can tell you the application and the metallurgy based on the vintage.   

Hugh

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)

Hubert_25-25

Thank you for the information.  I will attemot to get you more information tomorrow.   I'm a lady and this is pretty new to me.  The wheels belonged to my ex who is deceased.  I'm in Michigan and my son (lives in Florida)  wants to sell the wheels and I want them out of my storage. 

They are too heavy for me to move around.  But I'll use a tape measure and get better measurements.  Also I will use a magnet to determine the metal.  Please let me know what else I can do..in terms a very very novice might understand. 

Thank you.

Boniblue

Additional information.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by bead.  I have taken more photos.  The area where a tire would go is 60" circumference.  The inner rim in the middle of the tire is 39".  Please see picture.  I have 4 rims that are the same.  Each is in slightly different condition. 

IMG_20190415_173646942.jpg

IMG_20190415_173624865.jpg

IMG_20190415_173455244.jpg

IMG_20190415_173438467.jpg

IMG_20190415_172611440.jpg

IMG_20190415_172610243.jpg

IMG_20190415_172604964.jpg

IMG_20190415_172603797.jpg

IMG_20190415_172402861.jpg

IMG_20190415_172249902.jpg

IMG_20190415_172230628.jpg

IMG_20190415_172121141.jpg

IMG_20190415_172014514.jpg

For Sale 3
Wood spoke Buick rims 1920-30s series set of 4 wood spoke rims
I'm not certain the exact year.  I just know the era.
My measurements are not in the proper terms.  I don't know them, so bare with me.

Rims are approximately 21" in diameter
Circumference of outer wheel base inside where the tire goes is 60"
Metal outer rim is 3" wide

Middle metal round axel? 2" in width, 12" in diameter with a
Circumference of 38.5"

There are no holes in the steel, three of the four aluminum? Hubs are in good shape.

I have attached pictures I hope are helpful.  
You can email me any questions, or helpful comments at Sue.Korhorn@gmail.com
Thank you
Boniblue

Edited by Boniblue
include price (see edit history)

Sue, 

We are almost there.  You have 4 wheels but only one has the demountable rim to hold the tire.  It is pictured on the right.  A tire will not go on the wheels without the rim.  This one rim is the key to what these wheels fit.  the other dimensions are helpful, but they do not tell me what a buyer needs to know.  Can you locate the rim on the right and give me the circumference and the width.  You did well so far, but we just need to check this one.  If the circumference like you measured on the wheel (but now measured on the rim) is 66 inches, then these are for 21" wheels.  If it is 63", then these are 20" wheels.  The wheel width that you measured is 2 1/2" wide, but again, the rim fits on here and not the tire.  We need to know the rim width. 

Buyers wont want to know approximate because these are expensive to ship.  They will want to know exactly what fits their car.  We are getting close.  Sorry to drag you back into the snow.  Hugh 

forum.thumb.JPG.d1f02d791f84794caef637dc1ea2f1ac.JPG

Sue, 

Now we are cooking with grease.  Great job with your measurements this time.  66" circumference has to be divided by "pie" or 3.14,  so the tire size that this car uses is 21" x 4".  They are aluminum caps, so these fit 1926/27/28 Buick Standard or series 115.  They will not work with the Master series.  The good news is that they fit 3 years.  The communication is in the cars for sale section which is also not helping find a buyer.  My advise.

1) Start a new Post of these for sale on the "Buick-Buy and sell section" and the "Parts for sale section".   

Here is a link   https://forums.aaca.org/forum/12-buick-buysell/

Also https://forums.aaca.org/forum/145-parts-for-sale/

You also need to be open to best offers and consider posting on Ebay or Craigslist, now that we know what you have.  

Your title should be   Buick 1926 1927 1928 Standard Wood spoke wheels 

Best of luck with these finding a new home.  I wish they fit my car.   Hugh