How to Replace Upper Snubber Bumpers

1957buickjim

How do you replace the upper snubber bumpers on a 1957 Buick Front Suspension. The lowers are pretty easy, since they bolt down on the lower a-frame member. But the uppers seem to be a bit trickier. Looking for someone who has done this and what the procedure is. The ones on my car are quite smashed flat. Thanks for the help. 

Are they the type with the nipple on the bottom of it? If so, the way I did them on the 56 was just some spit and I pushed and twisted with the palm of my hand until it fully seated. Pressing them in with the frame of the car works just as good, I bet.

They are, The issue is I need to raise the suspension to get to it to replace it.  When I try to jack it up under the lower a-arm, all I do is raise the body off the ground, the suspension doesn't move at all, probably because the spring is forcing the whole suspension downward. Any ideas on what I need to do, outside of total removal of the springs - which I do not want to do? 

Copy of P1090173.JPG

Edited by 1957buickjim (see edit history)

Well....it appears you have the entire nose off the car and maybe the engine is out as well?  That is a lot of weight NOT on the suspension.  You may have to wait until the front end is in place putting weight on the suspension thus moving the upper control arm up to access the rubber bumper.   

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Well....it appears you have the entire nose off the car and maybe the engine is out as well?  That is a lot of weight NOT on the suspension.  You may have to wait until the front end is in place putting weight on the suspension thus moving the upper control arm up to access the rubber bumper.   

...but if you really want to install now, a threaded rod in place of the shock will compress the spring...

• Like 1

If its inside, can you hold the frame down with adjustable lolly columns to the garage rafters? And take the tire off if needed to get the jack furthest outboard on the lower A frame