Powder coat rims for wooden Pontiac wheels

32Pontiac6

I am replacing the tires on my 1930 Pontiac.  The rims were painted by the last owner.  The rims were originally cadmium plated.  Has anybody had any experience powder coating the rims to simulate the cadmium plating?  If so, how has this performed?  Any help would be appreciated.

Rob

IMG_0664.JPG

Edited by 32Pontiac6 (see edit history)

I'm sure a good powdercoater can show you samples that would give you a cad-plated look.  They would blast your rims and then powder coat them any color you pick.  They have gloss and semi-gloss.  The latter would look more authentic.

Based on my experience with wire wheels, I would recommend you get a zinc undercoat on first. Tyre changing etc. can easily damage the coating and you can't see the rust progressing underneath. On my wheels the rust was happily working away under the bead of the tyres and it was very hard to spot any problem that would be where the moisture got in.

I am curious on this topic too.  It seems not many if any have their rims "silver cadmium" replated.  If powder coating or cad plating, there is no way to fill any rust pits.  I think that becomes one reason for painting the rims if they are not great.   The cad plating will take a little work to keep them looking nice.  Silver cad will have a tendency to change based on what is in the air.  I take a little simichrome to clean up the cad plated parts on my Jaguar parts every couple of years.  Cad will take a little polishing to keep clean.  I am considering paint myself, so I am also wondering if anyone has a good color selection for paint or powder coating that they would suggest that looks close to the silver cadmium look.     Hugh

Thanks for all your input.  I am becoming less inclined to powder coat for a couple of reasons: scratching and chipping.  I am concerned that taking the wheel off and on might cause the power coating to chip.  Right now I am leaning towards painting.  I know that paint will chip but at least you can touch it up if it does.  There are two Eastwood paints that I am going to do a test on: Silver Cad and Tank Tone Metallic.  The Silver Cad looks good in the photo of the cap but the picture on the can looks bluer than I think it should look.  So getting a can of each to try.  Will have to post the results.

Edited by 32Pontiac6 (see edit history)

If using paint, I would use a good 2K epoxy primer, and then a good quality catalyzed paint.  I would buy a single stage paint.  I would not put rattle can primer or paint on the rims.  The worst corrosion I have seen on these rims is under the tube.  Rims take a lot of abuse.  Also if you buy a can of paint, touch ups are easier.  You can get a pretty inexpensive HVLP gun from Harbor freight.  Wheels are a great thing to learn how to paint on.   

If you are going to fill any pits, use a good quality body filler that has metal or glass in it, not the cheap feather light stuff. 

Hugh

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to make a correction on fixing pits on a rim that is to be powder coated.  According to my powder coating guy, he said that if you use a good body filler with aluminum in it - Like "Allmetal", the powder coating will stick to it.  I have not tried this though.  I like Allmetal as a filler regardless of the top coating used because it is not a lightweight filler and should be more durable.   Hugh