Unidentifed roadster LAFD

nzcarnerd

That photo is amazing. Love the Black .... and those garage doors and hinges... wow.

Any guesses what the black fluids are that are running off the tires ? Notice the black puddle underneath the rear wheel.. I'm thinking oil but why the heck would they drench it like that and what were they even oiling ?

And, why is Tiger Woods driving ?

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

That photo is amazing. Love the Black .... and those garage doors and hinges... wow.

Any guesses what the black fluids are that are running off the tires ? Notice the black puddle underneath the rear wheel.. I'm thinking oil but why the heck would they drench it like that and what were they even oiling ?

And, why is Tiger Woods driving ?

I like the wheels. I imagine the black is water. They probably just washed the car and took the picture or just installed new tires.

24 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

And lower I think. They have different cowl lights but the Fire Dep't car may have had larger lights fitted.

Interesting point about the cowl lights. I will have to look further. I wonder if the Chief's car is an interim model as the 1930 cars have the higher lights but a different radiator.

The fire extinguisher wedged under the front tire of the yellow Graham-Paige would be hard to use if you needed it in a hurry.  A proper wheel chock would hold the car better and then the extinguisher would be available for it's real purpose.

14 hours ago, keiser31 said:

About a 1923 Jordan.

1923 Jordan.jpg

I suspect the mystery roadster is a couple of years later than this one. Note the 1923 car has tall skinny tyres and no front brakes, where the mystery car has front brakes and smaller wheels - I see on the back wheels it says 20-6.20-32 - i e 6.20x 20s.

Later years had graduated areas on the fenders. I think 1923 was the last year for the smooth fenders. Also, the tires on the car in question look to be balloon tires, so the wheels may be different to use those. It also may have had brakes added to the front since it is a fire vehicle. Later years also had a flat bottom across the windshield.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:34 AM, Tinindian said:

The fire extinguisher wedged under the front tire of the yellow Graham-Paige would be hard to use if you needed it in a hurry.  A proper wheel chock would hold the car better and then the extinguisher would be available for it's real purpose.

Judges have to see the fire extinguisher. So most people lay them by a tire. I have seen more than one driven over at the end of a car show.