What year is this REO engine, and what model was it in?

Per Thyren

Found this engine here in Sweden. REOs are extremely rare here, maybe we have a handful. The story about the engine is that a farmer bought it during WW2, only for using the axels in order to build a trailer (cars where rather worthless here during WW2, since gasoline was on ration and the army had seized the most commonly sized car tires). The farmer kept booth the engine and body in his barn. Someone bought the body in 1959, but the engine remained. My question: What year is the engine, and what model was it mounted in? It is a straight eight, flathead. I can read REO and CLOUD on the side (maybe there are more letters behind an oil filter container (I believe it is). Plate reads R800-977. 

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

Ok, -thank´s! With your information I searched photos on the net. A 1931 Flying Cloud 8-30 came up, and there I recognise the rims (steel spoke) and hubcaps that I found near the engine. So, it feels like I am getting close! But there is no way to date the engine from the number on that plate?

Per

Hello Frank , The Wolverine used a 6 cylinder Continental 15E motor and the Mate used a 6 cylinder Continental 16E motor . The Flying Cloud also used a 8 cylinder Continental motor . I do not know the model number . The Royale had a 8 cylinder Reo motor made from chrome - nickel . 125 hp and 358 cu inch .

You probably know more than I regarding Reo's but to my knowledge, the only 8 cylinder Flying Clouds were 31 and 32, Models 8-21 and 8-25. Both of these used the 8 cylinder Reo engine made from Chrome-Nickel. They were 268 cu in, one had 85 Hp and the other had 90 Hp at 3200 rpm. The models 6-21 and 6-25 used Continental engines. Of course, my sources may have it wrong.

Frank

Looks like you both may be right, at least partly...

While Std Cat doesn't mention Continental under the Reo 8s, it's not really an engine manual...

The R800 was one of Cont'ls oddly designated engines---most of the period followed cylinder number and displacement or the passenger car 15E, 16E, 6Y, 7U  type designations...

There were a few "even hundred number" engines---A400, C600, K600, your R800, S800 etc...(why, I don't know)...

A 1933 Perfect Circle ring catalog does list a Cont (but without any Cont'l designation) for Reo 8-21 and 8-25 models 1931-32, with models 31 and 35 using their own 8cyl..

It may well be Cont'l provided their R800 tweaked to Reo specs...I'll dig around a little and advise...

• Like 1

OK, uou'll need to prostrate yourself before the font of all wisdom re' obsolete Cont'ls---Garrad (Gerry/Jerry/Gerald) Moon at Monte's Eqpmt NW of Chicago, obsolete Cont'l dealers. Seriously, he's always helpful or sympathetic...

A 36 engine parts catalog lists the R800 as using the same piston ass/bly as the Cont'ls 14S, 15S, 16S, 18S and 21S, and that set of specs perfectly matches specs for same ass/bly for Reo 8-21, 8-25 31-32...

R800 valves are by themselves but match the Reo valves perfectly...

Unfortunately no bearings are listed for Cont'l R800

I don't doubt that 977 is actual serial #...

So take off all other stamped/embossed letters, numbers and email with tag info

garradmoom@montes@flash.net or montesequipment.com...but don't expect any parts to be available; those 8Cyl Ss were in stuff like upscale Jordans, Moons (no relation) Stuts, etc, desperatety sought after by restorers......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for information! As far as I have found, there is only one straight 8 Reo in Sweden. Trying to locate it now. Guess my engine will just never come in use again, but it is really nice just to look at! Just got it out of the storage it was in for many years.

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hej Per

Vi är just i uppstarten på ett REO-projekt i Göteborg. Det är en Flying Cloud ca 1930 med 6a i ett bedrövligt och okomplett skick. Vi samlar diverse delar och är du intresserad av att sälja delar eller rubbet av REO-delar så hör gärna av dig. Mvh Henrik Ogstedt 0702-013270

Sorry for the post i swedish. We got a REO project and would be interested in parts.

• 1 year later...
On 4/17/2017 at 10:13 PM, Bud Tierney said:

OK, uou'll need to prostrate yourself before the font of all wisdom re' obsolete Cont'ls---Garrad (Gerry/Jerry/Gerald) Moon at Monte's Eqpmt NW of Chicago, obsolete Cont'l dealers. Seriously, he's always helpful or sympathetic...

A 36 engine parts catalog lists the R800 as using the same piston ass/bly as the Cont'ls 14S, 15S, 16S, 18S and 21S, and that set of specs perfectly matches specs for same ass/bly for Reo 8-21, 8-25 31-32...

R800 valves are by themselves but match the Reo valves perfectly...

Unfortunately no bearings are listed for Cont'l R800

I don't doubt that 977 is actual serial #...

So take off all other stamped/embossed letters, numbers and email with tag info

garradmoom@montes@flash.net or montesequipment.com...but don't expect any parts to be available; those 8Cyl Ss were in stuff like upscale Jordans, Moons (no relation) Stuts, etc, desperatety sought after by restorers......

Hi. I just bought this engine from Per. I hope we can get a little more information about it when we take it apart. Seems to have a lot in common with the 18s that are in Ruxton. The engine is stuck but it isn´t very rusty in cylinders so i hope we will get i turning soon. I have now oiled upp every part i can reach....

I will try to get more information of the car that it came from. It was a Reo 8-21 och 8-25 1931so if it was chopped up in WWII it wasn't very old. 

Thansk for the contact to Gerry/Jerry/Gerald... 

Henrik Ogstedt

Gothenburg Sweden.

• 2 months later...

Hello Paule ,  If you read the posting right above your pictures . Henrik bought the motor . If I was you I would contact Henrik he is a very knowledgeable and friendly person . I have his email if you want to contact him . Let me know by Private Message   PM

There is the Reo Club which might help you out also with parts .

There is a good brochure for sale from this fellow . I have purchased Reo Brochures from him before .  

Mark  1931 Reo Royale Victoria 8 - 31 

In many pieces 

Edited by Mark Gregory (see edit history)

Hello,

done some research in my archives and found this in a ReoClub Pdf:

The 8-25 and 8-21 Flying Cloud 8s relied upon the 5-main bearing, 268 cubic inch, 90 hp Continental R-800 designed and produced for REO by Muskegon’s Continental Motors. Both engines were state-of-the-art designs and utilized modern aluminum pistons, counterbalanced crankshafts and were both statically and dynamically balanced.

Hope this was usefull.

best regards

• 2 years later...