New 1976!

austingta

I've wanted one of this generation for a while now. I've had a 66,67,68,69,72, and 83.

This should be fun. 1976 Riv., 78 K, original owner, 100% original paint (my first preservation car, and I'm elated). Needs bumper fillers (ordered) and tires are 20 years old. Runs great according to the videos. 

output (1).jpg

output (2).jpg

output (3).jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chimera said:

That interior looks like cloth with a wood grain pattern on it. Not sure I have ever seen that. In ANY car...

Yea me neither. Looks groovy! Totally 70s!

Nice to see this generation Riv getting appreciated. I've never ridden in one but bet its super comfortable and quiet.

Congrats Frank. Looks to be in real nice condition. Let us know how it is once you get it home, what options, etc.

1 hour ago, austingta said:

And as I understand it, there were only red or buckskin or blue interiors available, across almost 20 colors. No black or white!

http://rivowners.org/features/Ev_Stats/colortrim/76.html

Perhaps we can tell something about the times by how they name colors and design choice. Of course earth tones were in, but what about the "Judicial Black" and "Liberty white" paint? 

Independence Red

Constitution Green

Colonial Yellow

Musket Brown

Seems very patriotic for sure...

1 hour ago, JZRIV said:

Look at seat pattern on this 77 Electra Cream Puff. At first thought maybe someone redid the Riv seats but they are original pattern it appears. Just haven't seen enough of these cars to know.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6040319342.html

Ohh wee. I love most '70's styles but this fabric didn't last long for a reason.

Dont let me catch you eatin' Cheetos on them! :P

Wow, thats a neat blue plate electra there. I understand the faux wood steering wheel and panels (should have been real wood!), but the faux wood cloth seats??? What the hell?

I can see the board room discussions about how to make the cars more groovy and earthy. Earth tones and never black! 20 shades of tan! We got tan tan, gold tan, brown tan, green tan...oh and tan wood. 

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 2.40.43 PM.png

The car made it to Austin today! I drove it around a little. Great running and driving car. May have a trans leak. Has a small exhaust rattle at idle; imperceptible at road speed. Underhood insulation gone- I will replace that. Front rotors are a little warped. AC clutch is gravelly, but I knew that. 

The new bumper fillers are here too! Need to get them painted, which means get the car legal so I can take it to them to match the original paint. The AM / FM stereo radio and all 4 speakers work great! No 8 track darn it. All lights and power things seem fine. 

Now the fun (and the $$$)  begins!

IMG_1070.JPG

Edited by austingta (see edit history)

There is something to be said for just driving the car as it was intended out of the factory. I'm always mulling over putting in a big stereo because I love cruising and listening to tunes. But just listening to the radio and having a mint condition 70s car is often enough!

Congrats!

Those "plush velour" interiors remind me of the point in my varied career when I was Director of Brand Communications for Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge. (I had already sent out announcements ringing the death knell for Eagle and Plymouth). I would sit in on media interviews with top execs, and at one point, in an interview with Bob Lutz, Bob waved his always-lit cigar and proclaimed that Chrysler interiors were often "just like the inside of a trombone case." Even I burst out laughing. He sure knew how to get quoted!      

• Like 2