Looking For Source--364 Rebuild kit

RivRider

I'm looking for rebuild kit for '60 364 and not having much luck,finding 401 but no 364.Next question is are they interchangeable and could it be turned into a 401? I don't know engine work much and just looking for info.I plan on getting started on my '60 LeSabre that has been in a garage since '78.When I bought the car the motor was stuck,so I filled the engine with Marvel Mystery Oil,like I did with my '68 and saved that one,but unsure of this one,haven't tried to see if it freed up yet,it has been soaking for 9 years now.She only has 49,000 miles so wasn't to worn when parked and I have my finger crossed.I just have the feeling this one won't have the same results,so I'm trying to get ready for a rebuild.I have saved two other engines by doing this,a '54 Nash Statesman with 36,000 parked for 19 years and a '63 Skylark with 40,000 miles,aluminum 215,parked for 22 years,and drove both afterwords with no problems. Any guidance in this quest appreciated,Thanks,Dan.                                                P.S.,I have obtained a 4-barrel intake to use,would this be helpful on this car? It has the better turbine trans.Keep watch of "Me and my Buick" will be posting pictures soon.

Russ Martin

Centerville Auto Repair

12865 Pine Cone Circle

Grass Valley, CA 95945

Tel: 530-272-1564

Call Russ and tell him what you're trying to accomplish.

My experience with him have been very positive.

He's knowledgeable, helpful and will provide what you need, not just a "standard" pile of parts for a rebuild.

http://nailheadbuick.com/

• Like 1

Somebody as Russ could put together "a kit", but such a thing, otherwise, did not exist even when the motors were newer.  The only "kits" were gasket kits.  An oil pan kit, a front cover kit, and the intake manifold kit.  Some gasket makers do sell a "valve grind kit" which includes all gaskets to remove the heads from the block.  Bearing kits will exist, for the rods and one for the mains.  Piston ring kits can exist as per piston kits.  Pistons will be individuals.  SO, it will take an active rebuilder or a competent machine shop to put together "a kit" for the engine rebuilding operations.

Sealed Power did allow a customer to build their own "kit", from individual pieces, for a better price than as all "individuals".  Key thing is to know the sizing of the various hard parts.  The bearing journal sizes (rod and main), plus the cylinder bore diameter, will be needed BEFORE any items are ordered.  Generally, an engine machine shop likes to do their own sourcing as then if something comes up wrong, then THEY control how it's made right.  When a customer does their own sourcing and then brings it to the shop, if something's wrong or incorrect, they THEY have to wait for somebody else to make things happen, rather than themselves doing it , , , that way THEY are in control of their production operations.

Curious as to where you've been looking for parts?  Just a question.

Take care,

NTX5467

I'm not a big fan of a full blown kit but here you go. Before buying a kit you need to access the needs of your rebuild and that can't happen until its torn down and inspected, then decision made which way and how far you want to go. then if the kits contents matches up with your needs then its OK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-364-Master-engine-kit-1957-58-cam-pistons-gaskets-bearings-rings-/190801748934?vxp=mtr&hash=item2c6caba3c6

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)
  • Like 4

I bought most of my rebuild parts from Falcon Global and Russ Martin ( and some from TA Performance )   I got good deals on Ebay international shipping with FG that's why most of the parts come from them.

The only thing I'm wary of is the crankshaft main bearings I got from FG.   They are Rebuilders Choice brand made in Asia. 

Any one have any experience with this brand ?